Author Topic: Sennheiser HD660S - coming soon!  (Read 682 times)

Online capetownwatches

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • "Life's too short to wear a crappy watch!"
Sennheiser HD660S - coming soon!
« on: October 13, 2017, 07:56:17 AM »
This is fairly significant news from Sennheiser.

The successor of the legendary HD 650 excels with the improved performance of its new transducer design.
Thanks to its lower impedance, it delivers reference-class sound also when connected to hi-res mobile players, thus offering much greater versatility.
Made for the demanding listener, the HD 660 S surpasses the exceptional performance of its predecessor, the legendary HD 650.

Thats quite a statement - I need to hear these.
Anyone know when local stock might be available?

Impedance: 150 Ω
Frequency response: 10 – 41,000 Hz (-10 dB)
Sound pressure level (SPL): 104 dB at 1V 1kHz

Offline Tenflare

• AVForums Member
  • Gaming on orthodynamics since 2006.
Re: Sennheiser HD660S - coming soon!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 08:54:01 AM »
This is fairly significant news from Sennheiser.

The successor of the legendary HD 650 excels with the improved performance of its new transducer design.
Thanks to its lower impedance, it delivers reference-class sound also when connected to hi-res mobile players, thus offering much greater versatility.
Made for the demanding listener, the HD 660 S surpasses the exceptional performance of its predecessor, the legendary HD 650.

Thats quite a statement - I need to hear these.
Anyone know when local stock might be available?

Impedance: 150 Ω
Frequency response: 10 – 41,000 Hz (-10 dB)
Sound pressure level (SPL): 104 dB at 1V 1kHz
Awesome news indeed. If not just because the remaining HD650's may suddenly become a lot more affordable.

Interestingly, I've trawled the interwebs and can't find anything on even an international launch date.

The presumed price is around R9,000 mark though (overseas), placing these in the same company at the DT1990 and the Amiron.   
Never use a graph when a good metaphor will do...

Online Wolla

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • The wife is always right!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 09:23:35 PM »
BTW, Massdrop has another HD6xx drop at the same $199. But, only for the next 10 days.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx?utm_source=linkshare&referer=62UVYH
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 09:46:42 PM by Wolla »
St Helena Bay
1: Korg DS-DAC-100 > Rotel RA-1070 > Linn Nexus
2: iPod Touch 7 > TPA3116D2 amp > Piega Premium 3
PC: Korg DS-DAC-100 > HK GLA55
HP: Philips Fidelio X2, Senn Massdrop HD6xx
Casual: Apple HiFi, Music pillow, DIY Boombox & DOSS SoundBox XL

Offline AlleyCat

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 08:48:39 PM »
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/over-ear-headphones

HD 660 S
Icon home audio
Sennheiser’s new HD 660 S is the ideal open, dynamic headphone for the passionate audiophile.
more
$ 499.95
plus applicable sales tax - free shipping
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 09:56:59 PM »
I like the way the styling has been updated while retaining the simple elegance of the original.  Industrial design done right more than 20 years ago! 

Very interested to see and hear how this and other new entrants compare to the staple choices I the $500-800 price range.
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline Doge

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Recovering Audiophile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 04:56:50 PM »
I've been super eager to get my hand on a pair of these, nowhere seems to have stock until the 7th, if I get lucky they'll have a demo pair at the Richer Sounds on my local high street.

Online itscraig

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 06:40:44 PM »
damn i have just bought 2 expensive Cans and now they do this

the HDxxx is a re branded HD650 and tweaked for the Massdrop guys
apparently they troll the forums looking for good drops and tweaks

Online capetownwatches

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 06:47:44 PM »
Note how it is advertised as an HD650 replacement - no question that Massdrop and Sennheiser are onto a great thing - helping Sennheiser get rid of HD650s and Massdrop coining it by selling thousands of them at $199.
Great for the consumer too.

Please note also that there is no mention of any HD600 replacement anytime soon...they would be mad to do it - kicks the HD650 all over the schoolyard.

Offline Tenflare

• AVForums Member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 06:58:26 PM »
There are a few reviews floating around, but a general consensus is hard to glean. People are saying it uses drivers from the HD700 which is an interesting choice as those cans are among the most divisive (a headphone is much more than its drivers of course).

I really have to hear the things. So I'll be patient until a demo model appears in stores.

Until then, the DT1990 will remain the headphone closest to my ideal as far as sound and comfort go.

Offline Nitelee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member

Online Wolla

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • The wife is always right!
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 09:37:58 PM »
https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/headphones-audiophile-high-end-hd-660-s

70USD off :)
The HD660S may well be a step up from the HD650 aka HD6xx, but I’m certain it won’t be the ‘second coming’ that Sennheiser would like us to believe.

So what is the local cost for these new babies and who’s stocking them locally?
St Helena Bay
1: Korg DS-DAC-100 > Rotel RA-1070 > Linn Nexus
2: iPod Touch 7 > TPA3116D2 amp > Piega Premium 3
PC: Korg DS-DAC-100 > HK GLA55
HP: Philips Fidelio X2, Senn Massdrop HD6xx
Casual: Apple HiFi, Music pillow, DIY Boombox & DOSS SoundBox XL

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 12:31:33 AM »
The HD660S may well be a step up from the HD650 aka HD6xx, but I’m certain it won’t be the ‘second coming’ that Sennheiser would like us to believe.

So what is the local cost for these new babies and who’s stocking them locally?

From measurements on HeadFi and SBAF it seems to have the signature of the HD650 with added distortion (perceived as musical colouration) reduced bass and reduced treble response.  That plus much lower impedance leads me to believe this will be a much less scalable can focused more on the younger MP3 or mobile FLAC crowd.  Also solves the marketing conundrum of the mid-fi HD650 often recommended over more expensive models.  I am happy waiting out the storm and picking up a used pair a few years down the line.

Side note: Tyll is working on a comparative review of three major new mid-market headphones https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/embarrassment-riches
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline Tenflare

• AVForums Member
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 08:35:30 AM »
I do have an issue with it replacing the HD650, which is what people are saying. I know it happens all the time in audio (see the Hifiman HE400 series) but the signature seems to be extremely different between the two (more so it seems than between the HD650 and the HD600) so it won't replace what will be lost IF the HD650 is indeed discontinued. 

Other brands (Beyerdynamic and Fostex namely), have headphone series which are the same driver in closed, semi-open, and open cup flavours. More importantly, they're intended to meet the purposes of monitoring, entertainment, or audiophilia. So if the HD600 is accurate, and the HD650 is fun, what is the HD660S? More fun? More accurate? It's certainly not for professional use as its open-back.

I'd also like to know why they'd want it to be easier to drive than the others? "Easy to drive" is considered a positive by almost every reviewer, but impedence ratings are by design. A kitted-out audiophile would regard impedence as neither boon no bane -- but as a picture of what the possibilities are in terms of kit. I know it's the HD700 driver so that probably means it can take a lot more current than the "average" 150-ohm headphone... but it's just weird to me.

Like I said, I need to hear how this thing performs to ascertain whether or not it's worthy of replacing one of the most revered pairs of headphones in history.

Online capetownwatches

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2017, 01:31:11 PM »
"Terrible performance for $500 headphones which are essentially just a slightly more sensitive HD 650."

"Probably sounds less neutral. And not good at bass?"

"...it differs a lot from what is considered a natural frequency response as of today [HARMAN target] and the bass-region you mentioned would be a big concern"

And finally..."God damnit. Sennheiser is f***ing with us."  :BWAHAHAH:

Read more at https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/embarrassment-riches#GfTUr7tUr4pusYlr.99

Online capetownwatches

• AVForums Veteran