Author Topic: Portable DAC  (Read 236 times)

Offline TranSonicX

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
Portable DAC
« on: October 13, 2017, 06:30:32 AM »
Hey Guys

Recently put an O2 amp together and loving this thing. Problem is I shouldn't have skimped on my order and should have ordered the ODAC at the same time.

Been looking around for a stand alone DAC without built in AMP, and not an easy thing to find.

Now the Dragonflys look nice but have the amp, and I see WhatHiFi just rated the Cyrus soundKey quite highly but it also has an amp. (Also not sure I will find the soundKey in SA). I am not sure if I could use either of these as just line out, looks like the DF will do this but seems like a waste to do that in the long run.

Those of you that have built your own gear understand it is going to be hard to sacrifice using it, and I would also like to be able to use the DAC with my full size gear at home.

The big problem is also the minister of finance is not happy with all this audio spending, so if you guys have any ideas for a stand alone, that would compliment my O2, is available locally and maybe about 2K (not asking to much here  :roll: ) I would appreciate some input. I could order the ODAC but if I could spend the shipping bucks on a better device locally. Hey maybe somebody got a ODAC they wanna sell?

Thanks,

Ross

Offline capetownwatches

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Member
Re: Portable DAC
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 07:29:13 AM »
NuPrime uDSD - can't think of anything else that comes close at the price - around R2,500

44.1,48,88.2,96,176.4,192,352.8,384KHz and DSD 2.8,5.6,11.2MHz.
24-bit

Should be a perfect match for your O2.

Life is too short to wear a crappy watch

Offline TranSonicX

• AVForums Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 08:23:29 AM »
NuPrime uDSD - can't think of anything else that comes close at the price - around R2,500

This seems to be a popular DAC on the forum.
Would you even bother with using the O2 and not just use the amp on the unit itself?

Offline capetownwatches

• AVForums Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 08:43:32 AM »
By all accounts the uDSD amp is pretty good but lacking in power.

You will get better results (more gain and control) using it as a DAC into the O2.

At the price it's worth trying it out, and if it doesn't work for you it will sell easily on this very forum.

Offline Tenflare

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 08:43:41 AM »
Hey Guys

Recently put an O2 amp together and loving this thing. Problem is I shouldn't have skimped on my order and should have ordered the ODAC at the same time.

Been looking around for a stand alone DAC without built in AMP, and not an easy thing to find.

Now the Dragonflys look nice but have the amp, and I see WhatHiFi just rated the Cyrus soundKey quite highly but it also has an amp. (Also not sure I will find the soundKey in SA). I am not sure if I could use either of these as just line out, looks like the DF will do this but seems like a waste to do that in the long run.

Those of you that have built your own gear understand it is going to be hard to sacrifice using it, and I would also like to be able to use the DAC with my full size gear at home.

The big problem is also the minister of finance is not happy with all this audio spending, so if you guys have any ideas for a stand alone, that would compliment my O2, is available locally and maybe about 2K (not asking to much here  :roll: ) I would appreciate some input. I could order the ODAC but if I could spend the shipping bucks on a better device locally. Hey maybe somebody got a ODAC they wanna sell?

Thanks,

Ross
Locally, your choices do seem limited to the aforementioned NuPrime and Audioquest options. The NuPrime does offer 32-bit and DSD (I've still never heard this format), which is cool.

I'd consider the Micca Origen+ on Amazon (doesn't import to SA sadly) for a cheaper option. Despite some Windows 10 driver issues, it seems to be extremely high value with DSD and some pretty impressive options in terms of IO.
Looking for new ways to listen to old music.

Offline TranSonicX

• AVForums Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 10:13:46 AM »
Not finding any info if this DAC will work with a Android phone...

Offline capetownwatches

• AVForums Member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 10:19:23 AM »

OTG cable into USB input of the uDSD should work.

Offline TranSonicX

• AVForums Member
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 10:21:03 AM »
OTG cable into USB input of the uDSD should work.

Awesome thanks for that... think it would be worth giving it a shot, like you said can always sell on here if I dont like it.

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 03:49:05 PM »

which phone? because the phone needs to have USB host control capability which my Samsung Galaxy J1 Ace Neo did not have .... but i purchased a paid app called "USB audio player pro" which basically installs a USB driver which works for most phones .... and then i installed an app called "USB host controller: which in conjunction with the driver from the first app allowed the phone to get host controller capability - this still unfortunately played distorted but i then tried another app called "Neutron" which played the music but you still get a small pop or glitch occasionally (i still needed the first two apps to make the USB controller capability work)

with a phone that has host controller capability all you might need is that "USB audio player pro" playback app and it should then play perfectly using an OTG cable as suggested above .... im sure that if i had a better phone it would have been a lot easier .... i wanted to try it with an alternative device but the app does not install in versions of Android lower then Android 5.1 so with my tablet which is Android 4.4 only it did not install ..... though there is a free version of the app which you can try with your specific phone to see if it works before you purchase the fully paid version

so basically its going to cost you the amount you pay for the OTG cable and the amount you pay for the app besides for the obvious initial purchase of the DAC but yep with Android phones with USB host controller capability (many entry level phones dont feature this) you shouldnt have too many problems using the uDSD with Android
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 03:52:15 PM by naughty »

Offline TranSonicX

• AVForums Member
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 05:01:49 PM »
which phone? because the phone needs to have USB host control capability which my Samsung Galaxy J1 Ace Neo did not have .... but i purchased a paid app called "USB audio player pro" which basically installs a USB driver which works for most phones .... and then i installed an app called "USB host controller: which in conjunction with the driver from the first app allowed the phone to get host controller capability - this still unfortunately played distorted but i then tried another app called "Neutron" which played the music but you still get a small pop or glitch occasionally (i still needed the first two apps to make the USB controller capability work)

with a phone that has host controller capability all you might need is that "USB audio player pro" playback app and it should then play perfectly using an OTG cable as suggested above .... im sure that if i had a better phone it would have been a lot easier .... i wanted to try it with an alternative device but the app does not install in versions of Android lower then Android 5.1 so with my tablet which is Android 4.4 only it did not install ..... though there is a free version of the app which you can try with your specific phone to see if it works before you purchase the fully paid version

so basically its going to cost you the amount you pay for the OTG cable and the amount you pay for the app besides for the obvious initial purchase of the DAC but yep with Android phones with USB host controller capability (many entry level phones dont feature this) you shouldnt have too many problems using the uDSD with Android
Galaxy S7 edge and definately works with OTG. I actually have a number of OTG cables and little adapters.

Thanks for the heads up though.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 05:21:17 PM »
Galaxy S7 edge and definately works with OTG. I actually have a number of OTG cables and little adapters.

Thanks for the heads up though.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

should work with no issues then .... though if your usual music playback app doesnt work then just get "USB audio player pro" - its one of the better music playback apps for Android and it even allows large embedded coverart to be viewed and it plays Flac perfectly 

Offline xenithon

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 05:28:17 PM »
If you are considering the import route, and want a DAC that also has an amp with balls, consider the Geek Out range from LH Labs

Offline TranSonicX

• AVForums Member
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 06:39:24 AM »
If you are considering the import route, and want a DAC that also has an amp with balls, consider the Geek Out range from LH Labs

Yeah not a big fan of the import thing. Every time is just such a a ball ache.

Nice looking device though.