Author Topic: Sound Proofing a Door  (Read 3253 times)

Offline d0dja

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Sound Proofing a Door
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2017, 11:01:51 AM »

I did just notice this on the Isover cover it s also pretty cheap...

I just read that polystyrene is not a good option for sound proofing.

Any other suggestions on how to seal the wood within the door frame ?

Seriously... duct tape. Or if youíre feeling in the mood, insert the chipboard or drywall material in as near a fit as you can, and then work Painters Mate or similar acrylic filler (when you pull the panels out itíll come off with some hard scraping and rubbing. Two layers of chipboard, isotherm in the middle. First put duct tape all around the existing door, thatíll help a lot.

You want air seal (any ďundampedĒ path for sound), then dense mass to absorb energy transmitted by re-radiation.

Youíre over thinking this.

As Steerpike and Timber recommend. Duct tape the doors, two layers of chipboard or drywall separated by isotherm. Duct tape in place. You donít need frames , etc to mount it to. In fact thatíll prob make it worse as you create a path for sound energy by coupling layers together.

Offline Timber_MG

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2017, 11:07:20 AM »
Rental terms were no adhesive mastics or tapes, so one has to press-fit a frame into the door gap. This is done by making it for arguments sake exactly 3mm under size all the way round and pressing a foam seal in all the way round. This is very simply accomplished with a light steel frame structure with drywall or with wooden panels in situ with timber packers to get to within your desired gap.

Offline B_Unit

• AVForums Veteran
  • I am always looking for Vintage Marantz equipment
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2017, 05:12:05 PM »
### UPDATE ###

So Universty has been hectic and caused this project to slow down but I have now completed it !

So the story goes. I bought a new Bed after moving into the new apartment, I was then about to throw away my old mattress when I thought "Maybe I can just push this in the door frame for the time being until I get all the materials" I then noticed that there was a Zip around the entire mattress which I never really took notice of until this moment. I unzipped it and Found exactly what I needed ! 

This was a pretty big score since I did not need to spend R1000 +- on Foam. Best of all, there were two layers of two types. 1 Triangular foam and 1 plane square foam.

This was great ! So pulled out the knife and cut the foam to fit into the door frame with 2cm extra on each side.

Here I test fitted the foam. There was already an improvement in sound insulation between the two rooms.

My Roommate and I went to the local hardware store and asked for the thickest sheet of wood they had. I was expecting some MDF wood, but they only had chip board with, but this was incredibly dense and incredibly heavy.

Luckily the width of the wood was the exact size we needed so the length just had to be slightly cut, now this was a very large piece of wood so we had to get the delivery service to deliver it since we would not be able to fit it on the metro train :P.

After a week it arrived and we began preparing the wood. A few parts of the wood had to be slightly cut with a hacksaw since the wall was not a perfect square also 2cm x 1cm rectangles had to also be cut at the bottom of the panel to allow for the skirting on the floor.

This was fairly straight forward. But when we were test fitting the panel we hit the corner of the wall and took a chunk of the wall out >.<

flip.

But we had to finish the job either way. So we began trying to glue the foam to the wood. We had Purchased spray glue for this. Once we began applying it, it was noticeable that this glue was not going to do the job.

1: The glue was no where near as strong as we thought it would be.

2: The glue was being absorbed by the foam.

So then the next recursive loop in the project was to find glue that would work with the foam and wood. After about a week of research and buying five different types of adhesives which did not work I found this stuff.

Luckly it was very cheap Aprox R150 .

The texture is very very sticky. The best way to describe it is to imagine the texture and stickiness of hot toffy

Here is a pic of some of the residue.

Once we had this we glue of parts of the foam to the wood and struggled for 15 minutes squeezing the panel in the door frame. Since the foam was slightly larger to create air tightness this made it incredibly difficult plus the weight of the wooden panel.

Eventually we got it inside nice a snug.

And here is the final product

The design is similar to what I posted previously in google sketchup.

It consists of 3 layers. <Triangular Foam - Wood - Normal Square Foam>.

The results. Well Very good. I can play my HiFi system at a decent level and its barley audible on the other side. But Base still gets threw.

But still a 10 fold of a difference.

Hope you guys enjoyed the read.

Thanks for the feedback and information.

Byron

Offline AlleyCat

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2017, 08:14:16 PM »
Nice work Byron, now let us know once the sorority girls have come play and give us some more feedback then.
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline adie

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2017, 08:32:12 AM »
Nice workaround.
If you have an foam left put some under the wood on the floor.

Offline JonnyP

• AVForums Veteran
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2017, 03:35:06 PM »
Next time you are at a hippy market, get one of those cheap Indian cloth bed spread things and 'hang it' by putting it over the top.  Finish the room with some psychedelic art posters (framed - the frames are cheap at IKEA), at least one large lamp with a loose piece of diaphanous cloth to dim it, some joss sticks and bingo...You'll be testing the acoustic blocking tendencies of the partition in no time.
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline B_Unit

• AVForums Veteran
  • I am always looking for Vintage Marantz equipment
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2017, 11:28:34 PM »

Offline thomtom

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2017, 06:31:30 AM »
keep us posted on the Bass Trap DIY! :RTFM: