Author Topic: Sound Proofing a Door  (Read 847 times)

Offline B_Unit

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • I am always looking for Vintage Marantz equipment
Sound Proofing a Door
« on: October 12, 2017, 09:39:35 PM »
Hello All,

I just moved into a new apartment and one issue is that the two bedrooms have a large door between them. And this is obviously not comfortable. specifically if my roommate or I brings a brings a girl home.

So some sound proofing needs to be done. The constraint is that I cannot glue/drill the door or walls. So My idea is to make a frame out of cheap wood and then use a collection of foam and other materials to insulate the two rooms.

The dimensions of the door are 128cm x 220cm. The outer frame is quite deep so Whatever I make can be thick.

To begin with I am thinking of finding a large piece of cheap Matters Foam with a Dimension of 130cm X 222cm (slightly larger than the frame) and then I will push it into the frame creating some sort of sound proofing. Once this is done Ill get some triangular sound proofing foam with some wooden frame and apply that infront of the other foam.

I have also read that using some sort of dense material will stop a lot of noise. So maybe i can create a frame and fill it with some material ?

I would love some suggestions.

Byron

Offline vleisman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Sound Proofing a Door
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 09:43:53 PM »
I'm not touching this thread until I sober up.  Would love to see what Kent has to say though. ..  :giggle:

Offline kenvanraas

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 09:51:27 PM »
Depends on what octaves your/his girl reach,

Now, the 3 main types of female voices are as follows:

1. Soprano
2. Mezzo Soprano
3. Contralto

...or are you refering to HiFi?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 09:54:59 PM by kenvanraas »

Offline B_Unit

• AVForums Veteran
  • I am always looking for Vintage Marantz equipment
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 09:54:51 PM »
 :ROFLMAO:

HiFi and any other noise coming from that room. That door needs to be sound proof both ways.

but I would say Soprano.  :thinking:

Ill post a picture of the frame tomorrow morning.

Offline kenvanraas

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 09:56:55 PM »
Please do my friend,it will make All the difference  :dop:

Offline adie

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 10:16:24 PM »
:ROFLMAO:

Ill post a picture of the frame soprano tomorrow morning.

Offline TimbaLand

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 11:42:07 PM »
Rather make sure that both of you bring vhirks on the same day. There may be some noise cancellation when they scream in unison

Marantz AV8801|Rotel RC1570, RMB1585 and RMB1565| B&W 804 Diamond, HTM2 Diamond, DB1 and CCM382|Harman Kardon BDT30|Samsung PS60E550|Optoma HD25E projector|Grandview motorised screen| Audioquest CV4 speaker cables and Mogami XLR

Offline Gerlach

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 06:38:02 AM »
Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!  :ROFLMAO: This one is going to be fun one!! Use the pillow to silence her!!!  :giggle:
Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)

Offline TimbaLand

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 06:47:55 AM »
Rather make sure that both of you bring vhirks on the same day. There may be some noise cancellation when they scream in unison

Rather make sure that both of you bring girls on the same day. There may be some noise cancellation when they scream in unison
Marantz AV8801|Rotel RC1570, RMB1585 and RMB1565| B&W 804 Diamond, HTM2 Diamond, DB1 and CCM382|Harman Kardon BDT30|Samsung PS60E550|Optoma HD25E projector|Grandview motorised screen| Audioquest CV4 speaker cables and Mogami XLR

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 07:04:05 AM »
I would suggest replacement of the door with one done in double glazing.   It’s amazingly efficient at noise blocking. 

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline adie

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 07:14:52 AM »
I would suggest replacement of the door with one done in double glazing.   It’s amazingly efficient at noise blocking. 

So they can watch each other??

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]

Offline Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 07:31:59 AM »
Use a sock. Long sport sock. Much more cost efficient.
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline Gerlach

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 07:48:42 AM »
Maybe this stuff will work??  :ROFLMAO: :point:
Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)

Offline d0dja

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 09:26:31 AM »
Prob the best and easiest is to get a number of Isotherm panels, they're 60cmx120cm in (afair) up to 5cm thickness. You'd need two thicknesses to really damp sound.

But it'd work the best ... it's dense fibre, exceptional sound absorbing properties. You could insert it in the space, as tightly into the frame as you can make it (even a tiny gap will make it massively less effective). Then simply tack a sheet of material over it to hide it, keep it where it is and stop any dust/fibres coming off it.

And if you need to open the door in an emergency you can just barge through it.

Now, back to the innuendo and muffled titters.

Offline AlleyCat

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 10:26:23 AM »
This is a good thread.

Seriously, dude, treat the whole room! Treating the doors alone is not going to help you.

And stay away from the screamers, or buy decent pillows as suggested above, just make sure you don't smother them [too much].

And here we thought we have real hifi problems, cable threads are boring. Way to go Byron!
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole