Author Topic: Fuse help + Audiophile fuses , snake oil or ?  (Read 1110 times)

Offline King_Julian_S

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
Fuse help + Audiophile fuses , snake oil or ?
« on: October 12, 2017, 06:53:52 PM »
Hi all ...

So just a general question.
My AU111 fuse went bust ...
thing is it says 250v 3A and the spare fuses I have is 250v 1.6A
Knowledge says since the amperage is  different so not suitable , but I don't understand why and what the impact might be if I had to try .. so anyone care to explain in dumbed down technical jargon ? Is Amp the only Nr one should concerned about ? Etc ...

Also ,, who is using these "audiophile" type fuses ... is t a cable discussion I.e. Some see real benefit or some see snake oil ...? Or can I just go buy a fuse at any hardware without worry ...

Tx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline placebo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • How can you have money for beer but not for Beenos
Re: Fuse help + Audiophile fuses , snake oil or ?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 06:59:29 PM »
I use audiophile fuses from Hi-Phibian in both my amps.Sound is cleaner however they have been in my amps for over 2 years now and it is hard to remember the old sound.Will definitely replace with Hi-Phibians fuses.
For,when money or oiled hands determine the voting outcome,particularly in a matter of such monumental importance,then no conscience or oath finds expression.

Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng

Offline King_Julian_S

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 07:01:33 PM »
Thanks meneer ..👍🏿

Offline adie

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 07:48:05 PM »
You could always ask Ilko about fuses  :whistler:

Offline JonnyP

• Gear Slut˛
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 08:00:29 PM »
A 1.6A fuse with the same voltage rating will blow pretty quickly.  Your fuse will only blow if the current (at constant voltage) exceeds its heat rating (proportional to amperage squared IIRC), increased voltage should increase Amperage therefore a spike in volts or amps is protected by the fuse.  So no, get a 3A 250V fuse, or do a dodgy wraparound with tin foil and have no protection.

Not sure how audiophile fuses may help but maybe HiPhib can elucidate, smoothing current?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 08:03:25 PM by JonnyP »
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline pwatts

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 08:17:35 PM »
Several types of fuses aside from the obvious. There are three blowing rates: fast, slow and cantremember and it's important to use the right one. At the AC input it usually is slow-blow to deal with inrush current but if the transformer is not toroidal and the capacitor bank not too big it's not guaranteed.
Otherwise there are parameters like sand-filling for self-containment during catastrophic events. The more you pay the more data tends to be available (and the closer it should stick to the data), but it's of little help if the original wasn't similarly specced. Especially at AC input there usually is a generous tolerance.
As to audiophile properties, my guess would be improved contact resistance, lower-resistance internal bonding, lower resistance and inductance filament and so on. Plenty of material on the web.

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 08:45:01 PM »
The first question should be is 3A correct. Fast or Slow?
Why did it blow ?

Until answered and the appropriate fuse fitted with no repeat fusing of the fuse fitting a higher grade would be foolish. 

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline King_Julian_S

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 08:53:53 PM »
Ok .. not sure why it blew , but something suspicious I noted and done ...
I see the amp is marked 4A... so perhaps 3A was too low all along ?
Anyway , I left the amp on fir two days , not running , just forgot to switch off.
So I am not sure if something happened during the day perhaps ...

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 08:55:53 PM »
I think a 3A fuse is marginal, the specs call for a 4A fuse. I get the feeling your fuse blew at the surge upon switch-on and the filter caps commenced charging.

Start off with a normal fuse, they're cheap. If it does not blow, then you may replace it with a "Hi-Fi fuse" if you so wish. If it blows, problems! Start trouble-shooting, most likely cause is a blown diode in the power supply. But then the blown fuse would have died a violent death and probably be blackened.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline King_Julian_S

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 09:10:17 PM »
Tx FD.. will do so..
I only have these T1.6A ones from the old Williamson power supply and a 5A one from the old Sony RTR ... other equipment standing around , but no 4A... guess I'll have to pass my listening tonight  :facepalm:

Offline Stanp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 01:17:44 AM »
How does a fuse work?
If the current stays the same, the thinner the conductor gets the higher its temperature will become. That is why the wire in a fuse is thin. They design it to withstand a certain current, If you exceed the stated current it gets so hot that it melts. If for example, using your situation, your amp calls for a 4 Amp fuse but you were using a 3 Amp slow blowing fuse, you may find that your amp is drawing about 3 Amps, seeing that the 3 Amp fuse blew over a period of time. If the Amp was using 1 Amp, the fuse would maybe be warm. If it was using 2 Amps it would get hot. If it was using 3 Amps, after a period of time it would get so hot that it would melt, thereby doing its job of protecting your equipment.

As for Audiophile fuses, don't waste your money on them is the best advice I can give. They belong in the same basket as the benefit of buying expensive cables. ie. a waste of money

Offline Ampdog

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 01:56:28 AM »
Further to Stanp's explanation:

Fuses are not precisely specified things; they have a tolerance. I have never noticed that stated somewhere, but can look it up.

But to use the opportunity yet again to get some perspective on the matter, any voltage drop across a mains fuse is negligible, particularly ai a circuit where the applied voltage can vary by some 10% -20%.

The sparks usually have a habit to come flying regarding loudspeaker circuits. Yet again if the fuse plus contact resistance is compared to the total resistance in the circuit, the effect might reach some 0,07dB.

(Frowning?
 remember that the total series resistance in any loudspeaker circuit can be no lower than some 6 ohms for an 8 ohm driver: the d.c. resistance of the voice coil. Strange how often that disappears from the circuit during some discussions and calculations, particularly with regard to the so-called damping factor .... )
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)

Offline King_Julian_S

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 09:35:33 AM »
Oom ... you have the habit of making me think I have even the least understanding of something 😂...
in lay terms ... do you think there might be a problem somewhere for me or do I just go get a 4A fuse like FD suggested... also from what I read now is that audiophile fuses technically speaking is a snake oil ?

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 10:01:28 AM »
Does the amplifier say what fuse should be fitted? Is there a service manual otherwise. 
Is it a T or F rated fuse. 

So if it should be 4 and it had 3, you can just replace.  If 3 was in fact right I wouldn’t just replace or at least replace with caution.

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline skollie

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cableth make no differenth. Ith all in the plugth
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 10:56:46 AM »
I now also have an issue with one (of two on a board) sandfilled fuses blow and it also happens to be a 4A/250Vac fuse. The amplifier is a Quad 405 MK1 and nothing else on the board shows any heat or burn signs.

I replaced the fuse with an identical item, which also blew instantly on switch-on. I made some enquiries here and elsewhere, also on Dada's site and informed how to do some measurements.

Anyway, a friend kindly helped me trace the problem to one of the bi-polars and also assisted in ID'ing suitable replacements. I checked with Communica Cape Town and they have them in stock so I will replace all four on the two boards. I also want to replace 4 'green things' which as yet remain un-identified.

I hope the OP's problem is not as serious as mine.

skollie
If you don't like my principles, I have others - Groucho Marx