Author Topic: What headphone did you start off with?  (Read 445 times)

Offline Tenflare

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
Re: What headphone did you start off with?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2017, 06:18:52 AM »
These were my first headphones. I loved them. Hard wired the energizer to the speaker outs of my amp. 16 - 22000Hz. But you couldn't drive them very loud. Magnificent with Classical and Jazz.

A Sennheiser electrostat?? :drool:
Looking for new ways to listen to old music.

Offline capetownwatches

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2017, 07:37:19 AM »
A world first actually:

Sennheiser engineers for the first time combined the principle of open headphones with that of electrostatic transducer technology.
Sennheiser’s launch of the unipolar 2000 model in 1977 caused a sensation in the audio world.

Its principle was once again an innovation in audio technology. In the electrostatic transducer, a high voltage is applied to two mesh-like electrodes.
As in a loudspeaker, this voltage causes a coated foil diaphragm to vibrate in time with the audio signal.
This results in an extremely fine resolution and low total harmonic distortion.

“Its frequency curve has a relatively deep curvature from 2 to 4 kHz. This is one of the reasons why these headphones generate an extremely spacious, detailed, transparent, airy and nevertheless powerful sound image in unprecedented quality," was how one audio magazine ‘Hifi-Stereofonie’, sang the praises of the new headphones.

I bought mine pre-owned from a local audiophile (couldn't afford them new and they were very rare) and they were indeed the "best" headphones of their time.
Life is too short to wear a crappy watch

Offline Trompie67

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2017, 07:44:03 AM »
First headphone?

Those that were supplied with my Sony Walkman!

Subsequently, Sennheiser HD590's since '99! Replaced pads twice. Still have the original box, cost R1,600 from Foto-Cats in Sandton City back in the day!

*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline grumpybear

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2017, 09:28:22 AM »
Another one for Sennheiser HD40, subsequently traded in on HD414 which I still have complete with box.  Used regularly on the PC because I can still hear what's going on around me.

Offline Momo

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2017, 10:09:18 AM »
Most of you here clearly had more sense then I did.My first pair was SkullCandy "SkullCrushers" absolute crap I paid R850 if I remember correctly they sound terrible they have what they call built in subwoofers which you can switch on and off.I still have them don't use it obviously.

Moved from there to a pair of B&W P5 wireless will never sell these ,I have tried AKG K92,Phillips SHP9500s as well which I recently sold .

My next pair will be the Beyerdynamic DT880's to use with my rega ear amp.

Offline ron g

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2017, 10:32:11 AM »

my dad had a set of hd414s back in the 70's which i really enjoyed - mainly because there were a lot of musicians in the music videos wearing the yellow foam sennheisers.

after they were eaten by the dog, he got a pair of kenwood headphones, which were great. i can't remember the model now, but if i look for photos on the web ii think they could have been the kh32s. they made me like headphones for the sound quality rather than the image.

tetris is a great life lesson.
accomplishments disappear. mistakes pile up till it's game over....

Offline Sten

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2017, 02:13:05 PM »
I started off low-fi in 1954 with a pair of WW2 RAF earphones of the rocking armature type. These were considered the best and most sensitive for use with the home-built crystal sets which were then de rigueur for any technically minded boy. The type 18 BPO earpieces (with the slide on and off diaphragms), also used in the old Bakelite type telephones, were considered inferior. As I recall the cost of the good ones was ten shillings at H Falkson in Church street west Pretoria, a veritable Aladdin's cave of war surplus technical goodies. (Hands up please anyone who ever bought something at Falksons). The SABC at the time had a medium wave transmitter site at Silverton with probably 10 kilowatts or so for each service. The antenna was a centre fed vertical lattice mast. Since the site was about four miles from Menlo Park where I lived reception was excellent. Choice of service was English or Afrikaans, or the wondrous Springbok Radio. Good days one way and another!   
"In music the passions enjoy themselves"  Nietzsche.

Offline JonnyP

• Gear Slut²
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2017, 03:35:29 PM »
I started off with the ones that came with my Sanyo walkman circa 1984.  The walkman also has a little pair of speakers so they were my first speakers too!  Then moved through a walkman a year from about 1987-1996 with whatever Sony earbud type phones came with it.  Finally started on the Sennheiser earbuds around then and have always got at least one pair of Senn in-ears along with some on ears and one pair of HD598 over ears.  Most of my headphone listening is on portable devices.

I did used to go through a pair of DJ over ears a year at Uni but mainly because we shared whichever ones the Entertainments budget could afford (generally Panasonic or the like DJ phones) but not to listen at home.
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - listen with your ears
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2017, 05:35:04 PM »
Back in the 1970's it was an AKG K-210.  It came bundled with 2 omni-directional dynamic microphones, since I had just started recording using a Tandberg "cross-field" reel to reel

Offline capetownwatches

• AVForums Member
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2017, 09:04:26 PM »

Sennheiser engineers for the first time combined the principle of open headphones with that of electrostatic transducer technology.
Sennheiser’s launch of the unipolar 2000 model in 1977 caused a sensation in the audio world.

Its principle was once again an innovation in audio technology. In the electrostatic transducer, a high voltage is applied to two mesh-like electrodes.
As in a loudspeaker, this voltage causes a coated foil diaphragm to vibrate in time with the audio signal.
This results in an extremely fine resolution and low total harmonic distortion.

“Its frequency curve has a relatively deep curvature from 2 to 4 kHz. This is one of the reasons why these headphones generate an extremely spacious, detailed, transparent, airy and nevertheless powerful sound image in unprecedented quality," was how one audio magazine ‘Hifi-Stereofonie’, sang the praises of the new headphones.

Forgot to mention that the above quote is off the Sennheiser USA website.
Life is too short to wear a crappy watch

Offline kamikazi

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2017, 06:10:13 PM »
Also started off with the headphones I got with a Sony Walkman. My first pair of headphones I bought for myself were a pair of Sony portable DJ headphones which I used for many years as well as the Sony MDR-EX71 in ears. I also had the Sennheiser HD407s at some stage, but they were uncomfortable and I soon gave them away.

Offline canman1971

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2017, 01:50:11 PM »
Senn CX300II (IEMS), iPhone 4

- IEMS gifted to a fellow forum member
- iPhone 4 sold on forum