Author Topic: New vinyl  (Read 495 times)

Offline robertl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
New vinyl
« on: October 11, 2017, 02:27:09 PM »
Is any of the new reissued vinyl any good,
have heard alot have been remastered
from cd's, is this correct, should one rather
buy second vinyl.
If their is some good new vinyl out their,
can someone start such a list and inform
the rest of us.
Looking to add to my vinyl collection.
many thanks
cheers

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • To the centre of the city in the night
Re: New vinyl
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 02:53:44 PM »
Reissues vary from company to company.  There is a good pressing thread on the stickies above which may help.  A lot of the current reissues are done on the cheap with remastering from digital copies or in some cases (a few records I know of) vinyl copies (Freedom's Children - Astra is a local example).  As for newly released - again, it is variable - some are mastered in analogue all the way (eg. many of the Jack White label stuff) others are just pressed up on good quality vinyl.

Most of the reissues I buy are ones that are not available on CD for example the Matsuli label stuff (old SA recordings that the guys track down the master tapes from and press).  Second hand is best for price if it isn't too rare, or availability if it is (a lot of old stuff may never have got the full decent CD treatment rather an AAD pressing Analogue recording, analogue mastering, then transferred to digital which was the cheap way to do it back in the day and usually resulted in a CD with tape hiss type background).
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline JohnnyIC

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 02:54:22 PM »
From my experience it's a bit of a hit and miss. I was reluctant to buy new records at first and decided to get a Led Zep II that was on sale, sounded great.. Next purchase was an LP from a lesser known band and it didn't sound so great, one track has lots of noise even after cleaning the LP on my rcm. Some older pressings are also crap though, I found an old SA pressed Eagles LP once that was still sealed but the audio quality on this thing was terrible.

Offline ScottulusMaximus

• Trade Count: (+53)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 03:01:09 PM »
Old bands on old records, new bands on new records is what I stick with.

As said above it's still hit and miss, some new records are just not pressed right, I've found you get more misses on new than old as well, think people just don't know how to do it properly anymore.

Importing made easy!

Offline robertl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 03:28:36 PM »
Thanks guys
It seems that second hand vinyl is the way to go, it will bring you more enjoyment from the recordings
than newest offerings out their will do.
Will have too visit the second hand shops in Cape Town some time soon.
cheers

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 04:08:22 PM »
I'd advise starting at Kandi, then moving on to Kandi, then if you are thinking about maybe a new or refurbished TT, try The Turntable Guy with your purchases from Kandi (he's just about next door).  There was one decent enough place in Obs as well (on the old main road?) and steer clear of the 'Vintage bric a brac including records' place on the corner unless you know your prices well (they seemed to have no idea whatsoever so although I did get a bargain double, I saw a few hipsters get badly stung for knackered records priced way too high)
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline Ricketysmurf

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • Stockfisch South Africa
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 06:36:35 PM »
There was one decent enough place in Obs as well (on the old main road?) and steer clear of the 'Vintage bric a brac including records' place on the corner unless you know your prices well (they seemed to have no idea whatsoever so although I did get a bargain double, I saw a few hipsters get badly stung for knackered records priced way too high)

Deerhunter, I think they closed down.
Audio Note
   Music's Finest Conductor

Offline Aqualung

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • It's all about the music, really...
    • Bokdrolletjies
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 06:47:40 PM »
Of course I am just guessing here, but:
1. I think the "one decent place in Obs" is Revolution Records. +1
2. Deer Hunter was in Salt River - pretty good - but I do think they have closed down, or, at least, moved.
3. I think the "on the corner" place is Voom Voom... right at the start of Lower main Road in Obs.

I love music - analog and digital. Even listening to the Blues makes me happy. During the day I coach and counsel, after hours I indulge in my second passion - listening to vinyl and restoring turntables. Some I keep, some I sell...

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 07:53:25 PM »
Revolution rings a bell.  Don't recall going to Salt River and yes, it was Voom Voom that was dodgily priced. All done on foot thus no heading further afield (I was in Rondebosch and had a few hours to spare).  Roastin in the CBD has new vinyl but didn't seem to have much 2nd hand last time I went.