At what point will I need a headphone amp?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuSeTwa

Reaction score
So I am looking to drop about R3k on a set of headphones... But I am worried that without a proper set up (right now I am using my laptop and foobar) I won't get enough out of the headsets to make them worth it...

So I am torn between getting a cheaper headset (say Creative Aurvana Live! or AKG k240, SR850 etc.) and then buy a headphone Amp/DAC combo such as the dragonfly Black or FiiO e17k.

OR

Going for it and getting a R3k headset: HD558 or Beyerdynamic/akg R3k open backed cans.

The goal is purely for an at home audiophile experience that I can eventually build into a collection to be proud of. A starting point if you will. I like the aesthetic of open backed, yet research has led me to believe that they only deliver more if you provide them with the correct set up. Hence my dilemma. Do I partition the cash and find sweet deals on amps/dacs/headphones or do I prioritise headphones.

P.S. I am going to be a student for my foreseeable future, hence the low budget.
P.S.S. I have experienced ultra high end systems and that is my eventual dream.

Latest posts