Plinth for Garrard 401

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinyljan

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Bought the 401 off the forum few months ago, came with a SME arm.  So I decided to use stuff readily available and do most of the build myself.  I have some handtools, but nothing fancy, no CNC etc. It would consist of three parts:
1.  Base: Mdf with aluminium frame, sand filled and arrow head spikes
2.  Turret: Mdf (3 layers),  aluminium layer 2mm thick, pine onto which the 401 is attached to.  Cavity filled with lead and non setting silicone.  Turret rests on base, not attached, but weighs enough not to move once positioned.
3.  Box to which tonearms are attached.  This also has a aluminium frame that fits over the frame of the base with very little play.  In between these I put some rubber mesh used to prevent carpets from slipping, and once pushed together there is no more play, but box and base are "decoupled".  The box is made of Mdf and have 3 compartments.  These were filled with a combo of bentonite, small rubber balls, small metal rods and silicate (glass) .....leftover stuff I use at work.

The tonearms will be the SME it came with (conventional position) and a Rega RB251 (from my Lenco built) at the back.  Final carts still to be decided.  Dustcover also reused from same.  Pics of some work so far:

Base:

Turret:

Box: (inside only) :whistler:

I had a table with resonant frequencies for different materials...can't seem to find it now :headbanger: