Author Topic: Plinth for Garrard 401  (Read 553 times)

Offline vinyljan

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Finishing projects
Plinth for Garrard 401
« on: October 04, 2017, 09:54:02 PM »
Bought the 401 off the forum few months ago, came with a SME arm.  So I decided to use stuff readily available and do most of the build myself.  I have some handtools, but nothing fancy, no CNC etc. It would consist of three parts:
1.  Base: Mdf with aluminium frame, sand filled and arrow head spikes
2.  Turret: Mdf (3 layers),  aluminium layer 2mm thick, pine onto which the 401 is attached to.  Cavity filled with lead and non setting silicone.  Turret rests on base, not attached, but weighs enough not to move once positioned.
3.  Box to which tonearms are attached.  This also has a aluminium frame that fits over the frame of the base with very little play.  In between these I put some rubber mesh used to prevent carpets from slipping, and once pushed together there is no more play, but box and base are "decoupled".  The box is made of Mdf and have 3 compartments.  These were filled with a combo of bentonite, small rubber balls, small metal rods and silicate (glass) .....leftover stuff I use at work.

The tonearms will be the SME it came with (conventional position) and a Rega RB251 (from my Lenco built) at the back.  Final carts still to be decided.  Dustcover also reused from same.  Pics of some work so far:

Base:

Turret:

Box: (inside only) :whistler:

I had a table with resonant frequencies for different materials...can't seem to find it now :headbanger:
In a maximum bank turn in a normal category airplane, like a typical Cessna, everything is fine until you turn across your own wake

Offline vinyljan

• AVForums Veteran
  • Finishing projects
Re: Plinth for Garrard 401
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 09:23:16 PM »
Plinth looks plain from outside....currently Dynavector DV10x5, cell phone pic.  Paul Simon/Graceland :groovy:

« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 09:25:39 PM by vinyljan »
In a maximum bank turn in a normal category airplane, like a typical Cessna, everything is fine until you turn across your own wake

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 09:30:25 PM »
Excellent work Jan, looking very pretty. Any rumble?
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline Curlycat

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+49)
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 10:00:45 PM »
Very good -  :thumbs:

Offline vinyljan

• AVForums Veteran
  • Finishing projects
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 06:51:14 AM »
Thx.  When standing next to the turntable I can hear some "mechanical" noise, but no rumble through the speakers (should have it serviced).  Tried to control vibrations in each of the 3 parts, and they are again separated from one another by rubber of sorts.  Will probably be selling 2 Lenco L75's (no tonearms) in near future as I'm going to stick with this for some time....and I am  a HUGE fan of the Lenco builds

Offline Schalk

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • valveaudio@absamail.co.za
    • Valve Audio
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 08:17:25 AM »
Really looking nice Jan

Excellent workmanship and fine detail. Telling about the fine detail work you do every day  :2thumbs:
Styling of the plinth also a period match for the table itself.

Well done

Offline charles

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 11:30:55 PM »
Congratulations, a job well done.

Offline Aqualung

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • It's all about the music, really...
    • Bokdrolletjies
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 07:03:39 PM »
Looks good!
And I agree with this: "Styling of the plinth also a period match for the table itself." - it struck me too,
could have been designed by Garrard in the UK at that time!
 :thumbs:
I love music - analog and digital. Even listening to the Blues makes me happy. During the day I coach and counsel, after hours I indulge in my second passion - listening to vinyl and restoring turntables. Some I keep, some I sell...

Offline vinyljan

• AVForums Veteran
  • Finishing projects
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 07:25:51 PM »
Thx guys, got the SME back from Hi_Phibian today  :groovy:. Should have both arms up and running in a few days, still looking for a specific cart I bought from Supergrand  :thinking:

Offline vinyljan

• AVForums Veteran
  • Finishing projects
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 08:35:20 PM »
Stripped down my Boozhound DIY phono amp and removed all additional inputs, selectors for different arms etc.  Made a faceplate to fit in with the plinth, redid the power supply  :whistler:.  The silver switch on the front is to choose between 24V (from mains) or 18V from batteries. 

Offline vinyljan

• AVForums Veteran
  • Finishing projects
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 08:25:14 PM »
Final pic to follow (modified post now as postimage currently not working :thinking:), both tonearms and original name fitted. OM 20 cartridge on SME
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 08:34:34 PM by vinyljan »

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 08:39:24 PM »
Final pic to follow (modified post now as postimage currently not working :thinking:), both tonearms and original name fitted. OM 20 cartridge on SME
Huh! I was wondering what the heck broke! Suddenly, I cannot see any images in the thread!
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline Curlycat

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+49)
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 08:41:05 PM »
Same here. I could not upload pictures either. Hope they are not going to do a Photobucket  :(

Offline vinyljan

• AVForums Veteran
  • Finishing projects
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 08:48:12 PM »
So I finished a project.....bar the pic :giggle:

Offline vinyljan

• AVForums Veteran
  • Finishing projects
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2017, 09:50:10 PM »
Ta-da