Author Topic: ECM reissues review with CD vs. Vinyl sound description  (Read 434 times)

Offline Jazzy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • S.E.T. for life!
The Vinyl Frontier!

Online Nirvana

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Very Addicted
Re: ECM reissues review with CD vs. Vinyl sound description
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 04:08:43 PM »
Thx Jazzy,this dude really took up a task and the read may be somewhat laborious,but nevertheless very interesting. Typical audiophiliac, some would say!  :giggle:

Off course,no surprise what medium 'won out' in the end...  :clap:  Hehe

Wonder what these new releases will cost in dear old SA...?  :faint:
Never b flat,never b sharp,always b natural

Offline Jazzy

• AVForums Veteran
  • S.E.T. for life!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 07:33:29 PM »
Agree, one needs to weigh the options wrt price. I paid around R400 for a mint Japanesse pressing of Jarrett's 'my song' in Prague last week amd thats my price reference.
The Vinyl Frontier!

Offline King_Julian_S

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 08:02:11 PM »
Tx Jazzy ...

Interesting or just coincidence that some new snake oil needs to sell... ?
since it's only certain things at certain points that are mentioned .. does that mean the rest of it sounds the same ?
These things baffle me though ...

Personally I've tried to compare some MF 180g & 200g new stock to similar old versions of the LP and just as an overall ...I prefered the older version , period ..... obviously got a bit more pops and cracks but the overall musicality is for me better in the few I managed to find old and new... maybe a different pressing and LP will be aligned to this article where the new wins or even where the Cd wins etc etc ... point is that it is still subjective and inconclusive to my entire song collection and I bet that's how it will stay for most...

Perhaps it's just my system or ears or whatever , not sure .. So I'm happy to collect even free old LP's and try clean them as good as I can .I doubt the differences mentioned here is worth anymore trouble , ..more then that I think is just snake oil starting to talk where U sit around for ten hours to hear very minute things U expect to hear... and ofcourse you'll hear them ... it works everytime ... but you would have to endure listening for a specific piano playing a specific note in order to say " can you hear the difference on that ringing  ...!" ... I say ..., wow ! congratulations on that discovery , it makes the world a much better place .!!! Yipeee .. lol
Yeagh ... sounds boring !!!

Non audiophile music lover...

Offline AlleyCat

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 08:17:55 PM »
^Nothing wrong with your ears King_Julian_S, check out this Youtube video where Michael Fremer plays back three copies of Nina Simone's first lp :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrfyvRwhoxk

Since watching this video I have a similar bias, i.e. that some older recordings sound more fuller and more musical.
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline King_Julian_S

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 09:13:42 PM »
^^^ lol... tx 🐱...
I like how he confess that audiophiles listens to part of tracks and not full songs ... that is what made me stop following audiophile stuff 👌🏼
Non audiophile music lover...