Author Topic: Music streaming services (noob questions)  (Read 635 times)

Offline adie

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Music streaming services (noob questions)
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2017, 09:38:53 PM »
I don't understand all the maths and technical bits, but ... I *think* a company like Meridian wouldn't put out something that is worse . I'm also not sure they'd easily be able to convince LG, Onkyo, Pioneer, Bel Canto, Audiolab, Krell, NAD, Technics, Quad, Mark Levinson or Electrocompaniet to join an audio 'scam'.

One could argue they could market - but even marketing isn't magic. You could use all the marketing in the world to tell me the sky is yellow, but I won't be believing it. That said - I haven't heard it 24 bit / 192khz but it'd I battle to believe there's no merit.

:thumbs:
You left out Cary Audio and Mytek, NAD, Brinkmann, Electrocompaniet- the list is a bit longer, but top notch brands in the mix.

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2017, 06:30:26 AM »
Oh I dunno .... without taking sides or stating that i'm convinced by either argument i would like to point out that to me its pretty simple to make all those other companies drink your snake oil, and that's by making them think that they are going to sell more stuff (especially after the consumer already has some of your products to make them replace good stuff with unnecessary stuff is an easy way to make money)

just saying  :nfi: 

Offline Dolby

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2017, 08:44:44 AM »

Whew. It's a tough task. Imagine the boardroom discussions :

'Guys, we're going to create this new audio packing method, we'll sell licensing rights and make lots of money! It will, of course, actually be measurably inferior and I'm sure there is a large chance all our high end clients and reviews will pick it up, thereby damaging our own reputation - but we'll wing it!'

'We'll then propose this new packing method to all the other high end manufacturers ... they'll test it themselves and see it's inferior, but I'm sure they'll still buy into it and risk their own reputations. We'll also put out a poster saying 'This is the best!' and fool everyone!' just to make it seem more authetic'

Offline adie

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2017, 08:46:41 AM »
Whew. It's a tough task. Imagine the boardroom discussions :

'Guys, we're going to create this new audio packing method, we'll sell licensing rights and make lots of money! It will, of course, actually be measurably inferior and I'm sure there is a large chance all our high end clients and reviews will pick it up, thereby damaging our own reputation - but we'll wing it!'

'We'll then propose this new packing method to all the other high end manufacturers ... they'll test it themselves and see it's inferior, but I'm sure they'll still buy into it and risk their own reputations. We'll also put out a poster saying 'This is the best!' and fool everyone!' just to make it seem more authetic'

Nailed it! ;D

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2017, 08:55:33 AM »
whats to stop that from being a realistic scenario if it makes them billions  ;)

Offline Katji

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
    • soundcloud
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2017, 10:30:56 AM »
They don't talk like that, not even among themselves. It is role-playing mode, theater.

Offline Doge

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Recovering Audiophile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2017, 12:00:56 PM »
1.   Is the subscription for one or more devices?  My wife has an iPad though :thinking:.

Tidal can clash if you try to use more than one device at a time though, I saw this happen often at CanJam

I have been testing deezer 4 weeks now and so far happy.  44/16 res and less money than Tidal at R80. 

I'm not sure this is entirely accurate, AFAIK it's the same quality as Tidal premium which is only $5 in SA?

Offline EduanB

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2017, 08:15:32 PM »
Everything on Tidal is 50% off in SA.
Tidal HiFi = $10
Tidal Premuim = $5

The real deal is that on top of that you get an additional 50% off (essentially making it -75%) for family members. So for each additional member its:
Tidal HiFi = $5
Tidal Premium = $2.5

I'm currently sharing with my GF. She is the "main" member with Premium @ $5 and I'm a HiFi family member @ $5.