Panasonic V20 - Should I resist?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenMasters

AVForums Grandmaster
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
I've been looking to buy a flat panel for a few years now. I've just been bidding my time waiting for a set who's picture quality is comparable to my current HD-CRT. I'd really love the larger screen size but don't want to have to make sacrifices in other areas.

Now I was very excited about the 2010 Panasonics, they seemed very promising, and indeed the reviews have been very good. The only two things that tempered my enthusiasm was the mention of colour banding and the question mark about the reliability of their black levels over time. I resigned myself to waiting for next year's models to see what improvements they might offer as well as any news on the black level issue.

Now I've just discovered a local AV store is selling 50" V20s at cost price as an incentive join their loyalty club! I'm finding this offer terribly hard to resist. The funds are just sitting in my bank account, and the set costs significantly less than I was budgeting for in the first place.

So, help needed. Any advice or insights? Wait another year or bite the bullet?