Author Topic: Thorens TD125 - rubber feet/adjustable legs (or -feet)  (Read 1094 times)

Offline LouisF

Thorens TD125 - rubber feet/adjustable legs (or -feet)
« on: October 02, 2017, 10:08:01 PM »
What would be suitable legs/feet for this TT?
"No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all."
David Avocado Wolfe

I have learned more from people who have differed from me than from those who have agreed with me.

Offline HBAutomation

Re: Thorens TD125 - rubber feet/adjustable legs (or -feet)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 10:40:32 PM »
Cut in half squash balls?  Did that to my SL10. Not sure how it will work on the Thorens though.
When You Come to a Fork in the Road, Take It!            [Yogi Berra]

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+43)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 11:14:30 PM »
It's a suspended deck. Hard feet probably best. 

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 06:57:59 PM »
The arrow tips as spikes that were suggested on the DIY audio section may work well
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline Ampdog

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 01:18:01 AM »
It's a suspended deck. Hard feet probably best. 

Just to get this straight:

Is the deck itself suspended, or is that 'rigid' and requires suspension when fitting onto a base-board-whatever?

I ask because the base-plate of my TD-135 is 'rigid' to the turntable and tone-arm proper (i.e. the latter mounted directly onto the base plate). In such a case rigid feet would transfer all mechanical movement directly to the tone arm, thus no spikes etc. The base plate of the TD-135 is itself properly suspended by given threaded mounting screws plus suitable rubber 'grommets' in/on whatever the player is mounted on.

Thus High-Ph: Do you mean the above, or is what is on the base plate of the TT-125 already 'floating' on that base plate? (I have not seen a TD-125 and find photos on the internet unclear.)  What exactly does the OP require?
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+43)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 07:17:27 AM »
The TD125 is a suspended sub chassis table.  Bearing and arm float on 3 springs isolating the reading parts from the world.  Adding another layer of bounce in my experience sounds worse. 

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+86)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 07:50:54 AM »
The TD125 is a suspended sub chassis table.  Bearing and arm float on 3 springs isolating the reading parts from the world.  Adding another layer of bounce in my experience sounds worse. 

Indeed. System of combined resonant frequencies becomes unpredictable.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline LouisF

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 09:10:05 PM »
Thing is, the only adjustment for leveling the board is those springs, but by the time I have tightened them to the point where the springs actually carry the board, there is not sufficient adjustment left to level the board. I thought having some sort of adjustable feet for the enclosure - do not need to be spring loaded - would enable me to level the entire thing to where the platter is level.
David Avocado Wolfe

I have learned more from people who have differed from me than from those who have agreed with me.

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+86)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 09:25:13 PM »
You're not doing something right.
Typical TD125 setup - top plate of the TT should be roughly at the same height (or a tad under) as the top of the aluminium front panel and then you'll have sufficient vertical bounce.
Of course, to level the platter, the surface on which the TT resides should be as level as possible. If it's not, then first level that.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline LouisF

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 09:47:00 PM »
You're not doing something right.
Typical TD125 setup - top plate of the TT should be roughly at the same height (or a tad under) as the top of the aluminium front panel and then you'll have sufficient vertical bounce.
Of course, to level the platter, the surface on which the TT resides should be as level as possible. If it's not, then first level that.
OK shall check that out tomorrow. Thanks.
David Avocado Wolfe

Offline Ampdog

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2017, 12:40:26 AM »
Also many thanks from me.

I have never checked the furniture/floor of this house for level-ness  (levilety?) .....  (not flippant: I have been in houses where floors were all but level.)
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)