Author Topic: Can someone explain the Cloud, puleeze...  (Read 1438 times)

Offline ALF

Re: Can someone explain the Cloud, puleeze...
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 12:56:11 PM »
I wonder why they ever called it the " cloud " ? the only thing in a cloud is water.
I think this is where most people get this " ek is rekenaar gestremd " expression on there faces, I would have called it something closer to the ground,like remote backup or offsite storage and it is all connected via cables because I get so many people in my shop and when the word cloud storage comes up then they tend to look up and around them and you just see confusion  :thinking:
"the fostex thang".....

Offline Prince

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 01:21:24 PM »
 :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :BWAHAHAH:

Well, the easiest way to explain it, is to point to their email they use like gmail, etc. The data is stored at a remote location, which is accessible from anywhere on the planet, where you have acces to the internet. The Cloud is loosely based on the old Mainfraime concept, when the data is stored at one location and we all have access to it via a client connection. The only difference here is that with the Cloud infrastructure it is available worldwide via the internet.

There are also varies Cloud categories:

1. Public Cloud - Your Data/service is accesible by everyone with privacy restrictions, your Google's, One Drives, etc of the world
1. Private Cloud - Your data is for your eyes only, but available from anywhere to your users.
2. Hybrid Cloud - Combination of Private and Public. Your data is local and at the remote site, to make it more accessible to your users within the organisation and the public.

Lesson Cloud101 concluded for now.

:flame: :O0:
"F5 Amp Power + Pedal Power = F5 Pedal Power"

Offline Juggy

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 09:42:47 AM »
The Cloud = Someone else's hardware

Offline BWS

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2018, 09:53:58 AM »
The Cloud = Someone else's hardware

Why couldn't you have posted this sooner :point: like as the first reply :ROFLMAO:
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline d0dja

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2018, 08:10:47 PM »
The Cloud = someone else’s storage is only true if you’re talking about hosting or VMs.

I was running IBM ME account in late nineties.. it’s the same ****. “On Demand” computing. “Utility” computing. “The network is the computer”.

The big thing in the last couple of years is Fog Computing (“the Cloud touches the ground”) where you have distributed edge-compute in small appliances next to the user, connected to the Cloud, where jobs can be run at the edge or pulled back to the Cloud.

AWS is just freaking amazing in this area.

Offline kamikazi

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 09:02:46 PM »
When you outsource business critical functions to the cloud...

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/10/bitbucket_outage/

Offline Juggy

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2018, 12:23:06 PM »
The Cloud = someone else’s storage is only true if you’re talking about hosting or VMs.

I was running IBM ME account in late nineties.. it’s the same ****. “On Demand” computing. “Utility” computing. “The network is the computer”.

The big thing in the last couple of years is Fog Computing (“the Cloud touches the ground”) where you have distributed edge-compute in small appliances next to the user, connected to the Cloud, where jobs can be run at the edge or pulled back to the Cloud.

AWS is just freaking amazing in this area.

SaaS, IaaS etc all has to run on something. It's doesn't just appear out of nowhere.

AWS, Azure, Google etc all have large datacentre's with massive amounts of storage and compute and even if you don't use a storage or a compute type solution somewhere in the chain the service you are using runs on hardware.

Offline naks

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2018, 07:34:38 PM »
LG OLED55C7, Oppo UDP-203, Cambridge Audio CXR200, PSB Imagine T2 towers (bi-amped), PSB Image C5 centre, Monitor Audio Bronze FX surrounds (bipole), Velodyne Impact 10 sub