Lightning - AGAIN!!

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Family_Dog

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
So was making like a couch potato watching NCIS - L A that I had recorded on my Explora. Quite a tense monent some 13 minutes before the end of the recording when a stray lightning bolt lit up the whole lounge accompanied by a thunderous BANG! Lights tripped. Three dogs & I nearly shot through the ceiling when this struck.

Damage so far:
Pioneer AVR
PC
VDSL Router
Various Satellite Decoders and all LNBs

Don't know what else, strangely enough my Samsung TV still works as well as the Denon AVR. Not sure about the HDMI on both units though, I suspect one or the other - or both - have gone to heaven.

And the most amazing thing is I was still able to complete NCIS LA even though the LNB was shot (I unplugged the lead as well) and watched using composite AV. I figured without a valid RF input from the LNB everything would be dead but this was not the case. This Explora has now survived two vicious lightning strikes that were as close as dammit to my house, pretty chuffed about that.

-F_D