Author Topic: Now playing... EDM  (Read 4418 times)

Online Katji

Re: Now playing... EDM
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2017, 05:01:53 PM »
 wow :) Good write-up. Lyrics and 'teenage angst' - and it goes way further than that with me...it's something I've thought of quite a lot this year or so, that I don't like songs now, that less than 10% of what I listen to are actually songs. And much of that is soulful house, or disco throwbacks, even that is only sometimes/ occasionally now. I prefer it to be samples of vocals from earlier house/disco tracks.
You get people saying "it all sounds the same", and "doof-doof" - but they listen to Blues! Or hip-hop.  I can't still be listening to "my baby left me" and so on all my life!  :D

Online Katji

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2017, 05:30:07 PM »
Autechre, because the latest RA: Playing Favourites feature article, the two DJs - natural/electronic.system - included it in their selection.
(https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/3082)
Giova: The entire album [Incunabula] is amazing. We picked this one because it's an alternative to Autechre's alien, futurist style. It's full of soft electronics and rhythms—organic instead of mechanical. And it tells a story.

Autechre - Bike  https://youtu.be/qkTJTf7Yvk8

Go on, blink; for the first time in fifteen years Autechre’s peerless debut album, Incunabula is reissued as a facsimile copy of the original, 1993 release, replete with silver-printed gatefold jacket.

We’re not going to bang on about this too much, but you should know by now that Incunabula is one of the cornerstones of modern electronic music, one of the pinnacles of the British rave epoch and among the most life-affirming records ever, bar none.

Aye, it’s 100% essential.

Autechre's debut Incunabula is seen in the eyes of many as a step forward in the electronic genre. Autechre's debut varies in style ranging from hollow to benevolent within the music. Initially the first album brought out by Sean Booth and Rob Brown would actually join a catalogue from Warp Records entitled Artificial Intelligence. Its purpose? To show the change and immense capabilities in electronic music from 1992-1994. Although they're known as the leaders of IDM, techno, and the electronic genre now, as unknowns Richard D. James, Autechre, The Orb, and Richie Hawtin are the few who contributed to this collection for their label Warp. There is no doubt that series has left an imprint on the minds of many for the generation only learning to love a relatively new genre. Obscure and unrelenting at times, IDM can be your best friend or your worst enemy. Incunabula is the testament of Autechre's and a genre's legacy, which is still going strong after 20 or so years.

It may be the reason from immense progress that so much of Incunabula feels linear in a way. Each direction of the music takes a turn for the better, even if it isn't something new to the ear nowadays, it can be seen across the genre in the present time of Autechre's vast influence. Although the style changes from classic electronic movements, ambient, and sometimes minimalistic techno Incunabula shows how important Autechre was for this movement. [...]
Incunabula was in many ways a turning point for electronic music, full of housey chords and classic techno drums but woven together in a way that only Autechre could. After the inauspicious beginnings of the bizzarely titled 'Kalpol Introl', 'Bike' is a whimsical and throbbing tech-house number, full of dynamic analogue sweeps and dusty phasing, paddling arps taking the lead role for most of the piece beforebeing driven along by a shuffling 909-hats and smooth kicks.

Fast-forward to 'Autriche' and there is a slightly lighter ambient number, comparable to the more off-piste moments of their lauded second album, before launching into the glitched footwork-esque truncated snare hits of 'Basscadet' ; ducked percussive slaps and snarling basses click and bounce into a rhythmic agreement, if not in complete harmony, at least fighting together in some sort of gritted-teeth cease-fire.

There is more than a glimmering of Autechre's later trademark sound on build-fall-build numbers like 'Doctrine', moving elements into the mix before fading out into a smoking pile, destroyed and fastidiously rebuilt.

Though this was but a start for Autechre, it came to define the sound that so many loved ; crackling and devastating electronic passages interspersed with moments of shining musical lucidity. Often emulated, but rarely bettered.

I hope there's a CD release - although it seems unlikely, going by google results. Must check discogs now.

Online JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2017, 07:02:20 PM »
Incanabula was released on CD at the time, probably available through your preferred streaming service nowadays.  Definitely check out Mira Calix, she was married to one of Autechre if memory serves and born in Durban.  Her first album had a picture of her aged about 4 standing in front of the concrete Clover balloon.  I bought it a few years before coming over here and thought WTF? Then saw the Thing on arrival!
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Online Katji

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2017, 08:06:40 PM »
Damn! This is lovely - "Eggshell"  My speakers love it, the bass...somehow it just works better than most - I can feel it - speakers supposed to go down to 50Hz.

Autechre - Eggshell
https://youtu.be/SyPSxfSw23s

Yes, CD.  A very long list of releases on discogs. I might have to resort to discogs and shipping, I must check my wishlist there.  There's a chance my ex-wife had it and it's in a box at my other place. Although I think I'd remember it.  She was more into Aphex twin and Squarepusher.

Online JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2017, 08:23:43 PM »
Will have to check out my Warp records collection later.  I think I may still have some Autechre stuff, I know I have Aphex Twin, Polygon Window, LFO, Global Communication, Sun Electric, The Orb, Orbital  and Plastikman on vinyl.
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Online Katji

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2017, 11:46:25 AM »
Autechre... I found that Junodownload has most of it - discogs lists WAV / FLAC / MP3 releases - 2000-something, presumably from the CD reissues.  I'd thought that junodownload [and beatport and traxsource] didn't have it, because they don't show up on the first 3 pages of google results.  And Warp Records website has some, redirects to merchant bleep.com .

So I got Amber and Garbage :) not Incunabula because I think it might be in the boxes of CDs at my other place - the cover seems quite familiar.  And I got Boards Of Canada - a beautiful place out in the country. 
I just now finished sorting out the FLAC tags. Then there's a lot more.  Maybe after a while with those two, I'll move on to the later, more difficult albums.

Online Katji

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2017, 11:47:17 AM »
XLR8R Podcast 508: Jennifer Cardini

An hour of low-slung grooves from the Correspondant label head.

https://www.xlr8r.com/podcasts/2017/09/podcast-508-jennifer-cardini/

Download on WeTransfer (MP3 320Kbps)
Streaming from mixcloud.

Cardini is currently in the middle of a two-week US tour, followed by gigs in Ibiza, Israel, Paris, and Amsterdam. Come November, she will also participate in the Venice Art Biennale with Andre Bratten for an art installation in the French pavilion by Xavier Veilhan.

For podcast 508, Cardini has supplied an hour of low-slung grooves that give listeners a small taste of the hypnotizing magic on which she has built her name.

Was there a particular idea or mood you were looking to convey?

A good mixture of home listening and music to dance to, I hope I succeeded. It's always hard for me to deliver a podcast, so many tracks I love and only such little time. The mix starts with I:Cube, one of my favorite producers.

You launched Dischi Autuno this year with an LP from Dollkraut, with one on the way from The Magic Ray—what are your plans for the label and what can we expect?

This label is more focused on bands and home listening music, we mainly focus on releasing albums without sticking to any genre, it can go from ambient to rock—nothing is defined.

Offline 2wice

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2017, 11:55:21 PM »

Offline 2wice

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2017, 12:58:42 AM »

Online Katji

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2017, 09:16:39 PM »
MEOKO is also good for mixes...

MEOKO 005
Claudia Lovisa
Sunday, 02 October 2011 04:00
Duration: 1:04:33 // Plays: 2763
With Claudia's new EP coming out on Supernature, we secured her first MEOKO mixtape. Expect tight mixing, excellent track selection and groovy tech house.

http://www.meoko.net/mixes?view=episode&episode_id=5

stream MP3 128 kBPS: http://mixes.meoko.net/meokomix_005.mp3

Offline 2wice

« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2017, 09:54:51 PM »

Offline 2wice

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2017, 10:07:05 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cXMnZ2vrx8

Not a big fan of Tiesto, but this has to be one of my favorite tunes of all time.

140bpm of awesome. Not so easy to find Hard Uplifting with a perfect drop anymore.

Offline Gareth80

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2018, 04:02:53 PM »
https://youtu.be/vG1MPS1MP2g

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

Offline Gareth80

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2018, 04:08:07 PM »
https://youtu.be/qvz2Pk5KHBU

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

Offline Gareth80