Author Topic: Now playing... EDM  (Read 4466 times)

Offline 2wice

Now playing... EDM
« on: October 01, 2017, 07:59:30 PM »
Familial currency

Offline Katji

Re: Now playing... EDM
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 04:16:27 PM »
I'm going to assume you mean EDM as in electronic dance music - house, techno, electro, and all the subgenres, and maybe electronic and industrial and so on - and not EDM the lost orphan genre.

Offline Katji

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 04:30:55 PM »

Offline 2wice

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 04:46:20 PM »
Yes

Offline Katji

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 06:57:58 PM »
 :thumbs:  Good.  I'm having a ball with the DJ mixes from RA and XLR8R, and a few others.  :groovy:

Offline 2wice

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 08:47:06 PM »
I used to enjoy Armin quite a bit, especially the Universal Religion comps.

No.3 being my all-time favorite, now all his State of Trance comps sound like a Eurovision song contest.

I'm now enjoying Above and Beyond a lot, especially the Anjunabeats, Anjunadeep as well as the acoustic comps.
Markus Schulz and Invected Mushroom when I'm in the mood.

Offline The Godfather

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 12:42:04 AM »
We are all we need :)

Offline 2wice

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 12:44:23 AM »

Offline 2wice

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 12:47:01 AM »

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 06:36:41 PM »
Well I was listening to D.A.F. and Front 242 on the weekend, dunno if that still counts or is even more subgenred out nowadays

Can’t beat ‘Der Mussolini’ or ‘Headhunter’
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline Katji

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 07:11:00 PM »
D.A.F. ? ...Deutsche...

My wife was a fan of Front242. ...back in the day.

Ja, anything, electronic, ......appears in dj mixes like for RA and XLR8R ... (Resident Advisor) and they usually mention it. Mix from a few months ago that i listened to today, has Tangerine Dream, the 1st track.
All major influences,...........techno is rooted more in England than it is in Detroit..I think. :) Electronic dance. Originally, 1 England, 2 maybe Germany, maybe America..? and Japan always connected somehow.

PS: Ohh of course, Deutsche Amerikanische Freundschaft
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 07:18:03 PM by Katji »

Offline 2wice

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 08:09:00 PM »
This is what started it all for me, late 90's. Dank railway shed in East London.

Energy 52 - Cafe Del Mar '98 (Original Three 'N One Mix)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZoUAixexWM

This gets a perennial spot on my all-time best top 10 choons.

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 08:22:35 PM »
IMHO LFO put it best on their debut - YMO, Kraftwerk, Sheffield sound, Detroit, Chicago and the rest.

I’d say Berlin School (TD, Conrad Schnitzler, Asmus Tiechens, etc), Düsseldorf (Neu!, La Düsseldorf and Harmonia), Eno, YMO, Industrial Records, Cabaret Voltaire, Depeche Mode, Human League, New Order, Ze records, Chicago House, Detroit House, EBM (and the light industrial scene - Skinny Puppy, DAF, Nitzer Ebb, Fini Tribe, Aphex Twin) then it went global with rave etc
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline Katji

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 12:32:32 PM »
@JohnnyP: "Just a quick one," (I'm on mobile, away from home laptop,) a suggestion: Lawrence English.  Genre: Electronic. (Not dance.) Composer, not dj/producer. Field recordings based - much of it.) Ambient. (I hesitated to say that, for a long time. Ambient literally, perhaps, not as in wishy-washy, the usual.)
Google 1st page gets you pretty much everything - wiki, youtube, bandcamp, theguardian, Resident Advisor...one of the reviews there:
However distantly, ambient music always seems intrinsically linked to nature, an alternative soundtrack to the constant hum of our shared space. So when Lawerence English—founder of the room40 imprint—entitled his Touch debut Kiri No Oto, a Japanese phrase for "sound of fog," it seemed like a sensible connection, invoking a visual sensation that might easily translate into music. 

Combining field recordings from Poland, New Zealand, Australia, and Japan with organ sounds, analog filtering, and harmonic drone sections, English has created an album just as transporting as the fog- and oceanscapes he's exploring. Dense coils of distortion coalesce into diffuse, light-streaked passages, revealing undulations in balance that waver between eerie calm and new motion. English creates a head space for the most foreign elements of the natural world, embracing the kinetic surf and blow of mist while respecting its natural lethargy, its willingness to shift and dip without overcoming its environment.

But English is rarely content with long gliding organ tones, or the overwrought emotional aspects his subject might too easily evoke. His compositions evolve in the unclockable time of the outdoors. He keeps them in a constant flux that mirrors the unpredictable calms and clamors of his environment. He depends on subtle countertextures to expose anything that glistens or reflects too much to the sandpapering of salt-air. The uneasy textures of opener "Organs Lost at Sea" break unexpectedly, giving into the morning-after spell of "Soft Fuse." "White Spray," with its caustic squalls of noise, is sifted into the distant church-like tones of "Waves Sheer Light," which achieves the lightless illumination feel of anything seen through a cloak of fog or mist.

"Lullaby" is even murkier, with its harmonic elements contrasted by a deep, dim racket like something banging against sunken metal, hidden beneath the sea. Ostensibly the subtlest piece here, "Figure's Lone Static" is busier beneath the surface than you first think, twisting bristling noise into a repeating, two-tone organ part until they both dissolve into "Oamura"'s leaden drones. As always with English's work on Kiri No Oto though, it's structured to feel like its testing the limits of its own atmosphere without really moving, lapping at the spots where the water's warmer, the air more breathable.

I started with a podcast mix, then went on to almost complete collection.

Well, that wasn't really a quick one, just skipped the roots/origin/influence topic for the time being.

Offline FranZAR

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 05:36:26 PM »

Exclame 150|Vivere|Whisper|Croak SL1200|Sonor Claro