Author Topic: Audiophile Demo Disk  (Read 1039 times)

Offline TranSonicX

Audiophile Demo Disk
« on: October 01, 2017, 03:31:37 PM »
Howdy

Always looking to find new music and had this idea.

If you could put together a album of what you would call audiophile demo music, something that really shows off the talents / abilities of your equipment what would be on it.
Lets say 6 to 10 tracks, and maybe say if more suited to HiFi or HeadFi.

I started trying to put my list together and cant cut it down...

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
Re: Audiophile Demo Disk
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 04:44:46 PM »
There are a number of commercial demo / sampler disks by audiophile labels like Chesky, Stockfisch, Reference Recordings. Also ones sanctioned / produced by equipment manufacturers like Dali, Marantz, McIntosh, etc. These are generally quite good and I used to use them to evaluate equipment ... now I just browse around for a good tune, listen to it a couple of times for reference and then start the evaluation / comparison. Much more enjoyable than some pre-cooked audiophile boringness.

Have a look at the "now playing" thread ... great way to discover new music.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 04:50:17 PM by Scubadude »
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline naughty

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 04:58:20 PM »
i have lots of audiophile samplers and test discs on original disc - none of them actually do a job as you describe though it is interesting that a compilation of different aspects of these would probably work wonderfully .... maybe a playlist could be created from the different tracks as an ideal demo disc ... im gonna work on the idea and see if i can draw up a list of an ideal demo disc cobbled up from bits of the many demo discs that i have

the question though is do you want it for test/demo purposes or do you want it to be good music that demos your system (a purely test disc would bore the heck out of most people) so are you after a versatile musical collection that highlights the music while it shows off the system or something that purely just highlights the strengths system while not being very interesting or good music or a mix of those

Offline TranSonicX

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 05:06:27 PM »
[quote author=naughty link=topic=66644.msg807104#msg807104 date=1506869900

the question though is do you want it for test/demo purposes or do you want it to be good music that demos your system (a purely test disc would bore the heck out of most people) so are you after a versatile musical collection that highlights the music while it shows off the system or something that purely just highlights the strengths system while not being very interesting or good music or a mix of those
[/quote]

Nope like mentioned above, there are tons of demo / test disks out there, you only have to hit up YouTube.
I just like trying different music and thought this could be a fun way to see what others are listening to and enjoying.

For example, one of the disks I listened to had Ice by Sarah McLachlan on it. Never heard of her but her voice is amazing. Love listening to her now. By the way this is coming form a Trance Techno raver with a bass addiction and a love of the likes of Metallica and Nickelback, and an evening of The Corrs (just to show you how I like to mix it up)

Offline 2wice

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 05:33:52 PM »
Now playing is for you then.

Offline naughty

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 10:23:44 PM »
For example, one of the disks I listened to had Ice by Sarah McLachlan on it. Never heard of her but her voice is amazing. Love listening to her now. By the way this is coming form a Trance Techno raver with a bass addiction and a love of the likes of Metallica and Nickelback, and an evening of The Corrs (just to show you how I like to mix it up)

looking at your taste in music i guess you wont like what i listen to then  :nfi:

so i should probably reserve my list more for a test/demo exercise rather  :thumbs:

Offline Danny Boy

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 02:37:16 PM »
Sarah McLachlan... Never heard of her but her voice is amazing
Off topic... Never heard of her?  :faint: Have you never seen "City of Angels"?
HT: Onkyo TX-NR828 | Wharfedale Obsidian 600 | Polk PSW350 | HiSense 60K390 | Zalman HD503 HTPC & Kodi 17.6
Stereo: NAD 3020i | NAD 522 | NAD T515 | Pioneer PL-512 | Technics SB-2170 | RPi 3, PiFi v2 & Moode Audio

Offline TranSonicX

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 02:43:46 PM »
Off topic... Never heard of her?  :faint: Have you never seen "City of Angels"?

Had to actually look up the trailer to see if I had seen it or not.... he he that is 1998, I don't even remember what I did over the weekend.
Must be a case of forgetting I knew her  :2thumbs:

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+123)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 01:44:30 PM »
The CT Hi-Fi Club has at least 10 compilations of such music contained in our music collection.  Most of it is FLAC or DSD recordings.  A decent DAC is needed to resolve it
Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Offline jeinnor

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 10:48:12 AM »
Chesky Records have a disk called the ultimate listening disk, possibly not something you would listening to regularly but it also explains a lot about what you should be hearing on your system.

Offline TranSonicX

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 10:36:08 AM »
I was giving this some more thought, and maybe I put it the wrong way.
I should maybe have called it reference disk.

We all have those few special tracks we turn to when we want to see what something sounds like. That is more along the lines of what I was trying to get at.

I am not sure where I saw it on the forum or who said it, but I think I am stuck in that listening to the equipment problem instead of just enjoying the music.

But just for interest, this is my ref track list at present:
Angel - Sarah McLachlan
Ice - Sara McLachlan
Little Wing (live and unplugged) - The Corrs
No Frontiers (live and unplugged) - The Corrs
My Immortal - Evanescence
Rey's Theme / Star Wars The Force Awakens - John Williams
Colour the Moor - Allan Taylor
Rain (Acoustic) - Samantha James

Offline Pholo

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 09:13:37 AM »
I have heard very good sounding CDs used dealers as demo discs. These were clearly labelled not for sale. I think this is unfair as the music contained therein was out of this world. That I would spend the last penny I have to lay my hands on it.
It would be a good idea if guys knowledgeable with music can indeed compile such discs for public consumption if it's within parameters of the 'law'
I can't wait...

Offline naughty

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2018, 02:18:49 AM »
I have heard very good sounding CDs used dealers as demo discs. These were clearly labelled not for sale. I think this is unfair as the music contained therein was out of this world. That I would spend the last penny I have to lay my hands on it.
It would be a good idea if guys knowledgeable with music can indeed compile such discs for public consumption if it's within parameters of the 'law'
I can't wait...

well if anyone is able to compile such a collection they cannot sell it because that would be illegal and they cannot really make copies of their own copies for anyone else since that would contravene any copyright laws that exist

BUT

nothing stops anyone from compiling a list and telling you about it - and making you aware how it can help you .... though sourcing the compilation is then left up to you ie you might have to purchase all the CDs that those tracks are on by yourself if you can ever find those .... this off course is assuming that you wish to remain on the right side of the law

im not sure what the law would be as regards to an association or club making discs for members and distributing those for free to their members as gifts for attending events etc though i suspect that the usual copyright laws may just apply  :nfi: (not talking about the Cape Town Hi-Fi Club here because even though they have the content to use during their events does not mean that they distribute that content) .... besides the only reason that i was wondering about this aloud is because if it was allowed then i would offer to make a disc for the Durban guys from my personal collection but i havent up to now because i was unsure of the legality of the situation  :nfi: