Author Topic: restoring a bookshelf speaker - what glue / epoxy ?  (Read 245 times)

Offline IanK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
restoring a bookshelf speaker - what glue / epoxy ?
« on: October 01, 2017, 11:29:37 AM »
Hi All , i have a speaker that has clearly been dropped as some stage in its life , i would like to try mend it ..

the speaker terminal plate has been dislodged into the speaker , so i need to remove carefully and mend it what is a recommended glue / epoxy to use that will work to bond  the metal speaker terminal plate back in place ...

thanks in advance ...
Rgds
Ian

Offline vinyljan

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Finishing projects
Re: restoring a bookshelf speaker - what glue / epoxy ?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 08:18:01 PM »
Is it possible to post some pictures  :thinking:
In a maximum bank turn in a normal category airplane, like a typical Cessna, everything is fine until you turn across your own wake

Offline IanK

• AVForums Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 09:03:23 PM »
Is it possible to post some pictures  :thinking:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline vinyljan

• AVForums Veteran
  • Finishing projects
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 09:58:20 PM »
If it was mine I'd remove the drivers, especially if the wiring aren't soldered onto the driver tags (don't know if you can desolder/resolder  :thinking:).  Just mark the wires carefully to keep them in fase with the other speaker once you reconnect.  Unscrew the metal plate keeping wiring intact.  Then try to realign all pieces and fineer.  Think normal woodglue should work depending on damage to rest of the cabinet but try to remove excess and keep pressure on the different "parts". For fineer only a contact adhesive (the type you apply to both sides and leave till its not tacky anymore) should work.
In a maximum bank turn in a normal category airplane, like a typical Cessna, everything is fine until you turn across your own wake

Offline vinyljan

• AVForums Veteran
  • Finishing projects
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 10:00:05 PM »
See you're in Centurion.  If you need anything to be soldered afterwards  I'll gladly help

Offline vleisman

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 10:03:15 PM »
Looks like pretty bad structural damage.  I would try strip everything and repair the cabinet first. Not a quick glue job this one imo.

Offline d0dja

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 09:45:39 AM »
Agreed on stripping out teh hardware and fixing the cabinet. What could save a lot of trouble is to use an epoxy like Epidermix which take as good 8 hours to set hard, but it can fill gaps, be sanded/filed into shapes and it's strong as f***.

Offline HBAutomation

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 10:05:57 AM »
Also I've on occasion seen the magnet dislodge from the basket when dropped from a great hight.  On those drivers I think the basket is riveted to the magnet. Check to see if there is a scraping sound when physically(gently) pushing in the diaphragm.

Offline IanK

• AVForums Member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 10:09:33 AM »
Miraculously.... Speakers actually still work perfectly .. but  obviously sound is not optimal ..

tried to take the driver out .. but could not dislodge by hand after removing all the screws .. so will try a blade this evening .. . but i wonder if the driver has been glued in place too ..

thanks for all your responses will .. post pics as i work though this restoration :)

Offline vinyljan

• AVForums Veteran
  • Finishing projects
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 12:50:31 PM »
If you unscrew the terminal plate you should be able to push them out. Shouldn't be glued.....magnet best area to apply pressure to.