Author Topic: Advice on headphones  (Read 2417 times)

Online capetownwatches

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Advice on headphones
« Reply #105 on: November 13, 2017, 09:34:19 PM »
PM sent Louis.

Yes, P7 is closed back. A very fine sounding headphone and beautifully designed and built too.
Life is too short to wear a crappy watch

Online LouisF

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #106 on: November 13, 2017, 09:39:55 PM »
My preference is open backed phones - the ADLs I have are like that and though the sound quality is very good, closed back phones introduce a peculiar sort of "screechy" quality to the sound at higher frequencies - female vocals, brass, for the most part - which I believe is some sort of interaction between my ears and the phones that I have not experienced on my old Koss phones, the only open backs I have experienced yet.
No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all.

David Avocado Wolfe

Offline canman1971

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #107 on: November 14, 2017, 11:50:24 AM »

Online capetownwatches

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #108 on: November 14, 2017, 01:51:08 PM »
I believe the Shure SRH1540 are really good closed back.

https://www.shure.com/americas/products/headphones/srh1540-premium-closed-back-headphones

The SRH1540 are indeed really good - I had the chance to listen to Wolvebain's and can certainly endorse them.
However, at between R9k and R11k per pair at retail they "shure" ain't cheap...  :whip:

Offline Tenflare

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Member
  • Gaming on orthodynamics since 2006.
« Reply #109 on: November 14, 2017, 03:13:14 PM »
They're under 6000 on Amazon.

That's HE560 money.
Never use a graph when a good metaphor will do...

Offline canman1971

• AVForums Member
« Reply #110 on: November 14, 2017, 08:14:06 PM »
HE560 :thumbs:

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
« Reply #111 on: November 14, 2017, 09:04:19 PM »
HE560 and SRH1540 are very different headphones.  Comparable i.t.o. price tag but that is where it stops.  If I had to choose I would also opt for the HE560 (this remains one of my favourite pairs even if it is a dog to drive properly).But spoke to Thomas earlier and he absolutely loves his SRH1540's. 

Which underlines that headphone choice is very personal. Your use case, your music, your preferences, your budget.  Great thing is you can get very decent sound for much less than either the 560 or 1540.
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Online LouisF

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #112 on: November 14, 2017, 09:50:01 PM »

...Great thing is you can get very decent sound for much less than either the 560 or 1540.
:clap:
No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all.

David Avocado Wolfe

Offline canman1971

• AVForums Member
« Reply #113 on: November 14, 2017, 10:01:31 PM »
+1 for Scubadude reply 

Offline Tenflare

• AVForums Member
« Reply #114 on: November 14, 2017, 11:08:27 PM »
HE560 and SRH1540 are very different headphones.  Comparable i.t.o. price tag but that is where it stops.  If I had to choose I would also opt for the HE560 (this remains one of my favourite pairs even if it is a dog to drive properly).But spoke to Thomas earlier and he absolutely loves his SRH1540's. 

Which underlines that headphone choice is very personal. Your use case, your music, your preferences, your budget.  Great thing is you can get very decent sound for much less than either the 560 or 1540.
I know this. And have motivated similar points on this forum before... in fact, I think I did so on this very thread.

They are indeed very different headphones; different in every single applicable way (other than the fact that they are headphones), and my point is not to say "the 560 is better than the SRH1540". I don't believe in better. I believe in different and I believe in suitability.

The thing is that the SRH1540 was around R6000 on Amazon.com, and at the time, the HE560 was the same price which is quite a discount from its usual R13000 price point (it's now gone up to around R8000 thus invalidating the entire point). I don't know which of those two sounds better than the other... but I know that years later, the planar magnetic will seem more like a deal should I decide to sell it. That's really all I was saying there.

This hobby is insanity. You could spin around for months and months looking for "better". The only thing you really find is what you like as an individual. In January 2016, I was hellbent on owning an M50X. Latter research pointed me toward the M40X... In a snap decision, I got the DT990's and today with 9 different pairs in my collection (including two Chi-Fi giant killers), I still don't own the Audio Technicas. I don't think I ever will.

Screw busting the budget and let's talk about maximising it to the fullest. Here's a recommendation straight left field: The Samson SR850's. With a small compromise in overall quality, you get an open back with the same signature as a DT990 with better soundstage. Better still, you can get two in a pack for under R800. https://www.audiomart.co.za/product_info.php/samson-sr850-dual-studio-headphones-p-6462

You can also get the Superluxes they're based on here (https://www.gearbest.com/on-ear-over-ear-headphones/pp_279992.html) if you want the same headphone at higher ohm. I actually own this pair and can attest to their magnificence. Don't sweat that they look like an AKG with Audio Technica wings.

Let me not get started on my R500 iSKs that sound eerily similar to the DT880.  :groovy: 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 11:16:22 PM by Tenflare »

Offline itscraig

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #115 on: November 15, 2017, 07:43:04 AM »
This hobby is insanity. You could spin around for months and months looking for "better".

years and years, if you like it keep it and enjoy it. there may always be better and newer.
or like many here have a collection.

Online capetownwatches

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #116 on: November 15, 2017, 09:37:28 AM »
years and years, if you like it keep it and enjoy it. there may always be better and newer.
or like many here have a collection.

The problem is that good gear is definitely addictive. The more experience one gains with different kit the worse it becomes.
Enquiring minds want to know!

And so the modest collection ends up growing exponentially until one day you look at all of it and wonder where it all came from!

Offline canman1971

• AVForums Member
« Reply #117 on: November 15, 2017, 11:50:45 AM »
The term better or best is such a dangerous word to use, different a better word. From experience the rock solid performers are the Senn HD6twins - HD600/HD650 simmilar but yet so different, these cans scale the more you plough into front end upgrades, certainly not midfi cans. If had spare cash - the Focal Elear for sale by Thomas would be in the stable.

Offline Tenflare

• AVForums Member
« Reply #118 on: November 15, 2017, 12:57:45 PM »
If had spare cash - the Focal Elear for sale by Thomas would be in the stable.
I think we're all in the same boat regarding those Elears.

Online capetownwatches

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #119 on: November 15, 2017, 09:57:56 PM »
I think we're all in the same boat regarding those Elears.

I feel you - that same boat being akin to a financial Titanic at the moment...