Upgrade Path 02 - TD-160

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moukz

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi again,

As my other thread, I would appreciate advice on what upgrade path to follow on this turntable.

I was fortunate enough to be given a stock Thorens TD-160 in great condition a while back. It really is a beautiful turntable. From what I gathered, this was a spare being kept for spares, so it didn't see much use.

Now, as per my other thread I would like to make the AR-XA my daily turntable, and use this one on occasion. So logically, I would probably finish the AR first, then start on this one.

With regards to arms that work well with this turntable I've noticed that the SME 3009 series  is quite popular among some other SME arms. And the person that gave me this one has a 3009 on his one, it sounded really good.

Regarding what cartridges and needles to go for, I'm completely in the dark here, any advice would be great.

Is it worth it dampening the body?

How much of a difference does different mats make? I've read that cork and felt are two good choices. Thoughts?

I'd like to take this time to say that I am a complete noob when it comes to turntables, please be patient.
I have actively been collecting vinyl over the last decade and have a pretty solid collection, I just feel it's not fair to play them on stock tables, but that is really just looking for excuses to upgrade.

Thanks once more.
Apologies for the thousand questions.

Edit:
FYI - This will be hooked up to a Yamaha AX 396 driving a set of Quad 22's

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk