AVR = Movies, Stereo = Music

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphabet

R.I.P.
Reaction score
Most of the forum members know what my opinion is of using AVRs for stereo music and I could once again upset some AVR owners.
However, it is not my intention to upset AVR owners, but rather to convey my experieces in this regard. Maybe just to justify, I have had the follwoing AVRs in the past: Yamaha RX-V450, Yamaha RX-V650, Cambridge Audio 540R and base my opinion on those as well as the current AVR.

As mentioned in the Classifieds, I bought 2nd hand pair of bookshelf speakers(Mordaunt-Short MS3.10) to use with the Yamaha RX-V361 I have for TV viewing and the occasional movie.

After connecting the speakers, I tried to listen to a CD and there was no focus, hardly any soundstage and an overall "fuzziness" to the presentation. Then I put in a DVD containing some music and this sounded quite acceptable with a wide soundstage and good focus.

The next step was to connect the speakers to my stereo setup and for a pair of speakers almost 20 years old, they sounded very good and I could hear why many people prefer bookshelf(or standmount) speakers to floorstanders. The MS speakers did not sound better than the Curas I normally use, but the difference between music in this configuration compared to stereo mode on the Yamaha was HUGE. Sort of contemplating whether I should try and get a home demo of something like a pair of B&W 905's. ;)

I know that not all AVRs are created equally and there are some that sound pretty good in a stereo environment(Cambride Audio, NAD  and Marantz come to mind), but IMHO a moderate stereo setup will always sound better in stereo than an AVR setup at even up to a price difference of 1 to 2(say R10,000 stereo setup vs R20,000 AVR setup)

Offcourse there are many other benefits to using an AVR, such as video upscaling, multi-room capability, switching unit and not least, enjoying movie sound effects.

Any person starting off in this hobby needs to ask him/herself the following questions:

1. Do I needs acceptable stereo music reproduction or will an AVR suffice?
2. Do I need switching for multiple inputs to a single device?
3. Do I need video upscaling?
4. Do I need multi-room capability?

There are probably many more questions that will be raised, but lets put it out there and see what pops up. ;D