Stolen MicroSoft account

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron g

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have had a microsoft account for gaming (e.g. solitaire & mah jong) & for xbox.

this account contained my credit card details (i think you see where this is going). i can't remember for sure now, but i think i was forced to enter the card details so that the site retained them somehow.
someone has gained access to the account & hijacked it.
purchases were made using my card details, up to the international limit on the card (2k).
login & security details were changed.
recovering the account from microsoft is seemingly impossible. there is just an endless loop of links & forms, culminating in them saying that the reset request will be ignored as 2 step verification is enabled on the account. (not by me - by the person who stole it).
it seems to me that the microsoft reset process is specifically designed to frustrate users wanting to recover accounts in circumstances such as mine.
besides the fraudulent purchases, i had purchased other games, which i now cannot access.

has anyone else been through this & would you perhaps have any pointers or advice for me?

i know i should ask this on an it forum, but i am not a member on any, & don't want to become a member simply to ask a question.

Latest posts