Bad Hair Day?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mafioso

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Elsewhere I mentioned that my Quad 405 is silent on one channel. I already checked all my cables and speakers and yesterday, I had a chance to look inside. Everything is as pristine and clean as it was when I last worked on it several years ago. Eventually, I found one of a pair of 4A fuses blown on the silent pcb and replaced it with a 3A fuse which is all I had in stock. And the replacement blew again.

So I thought I'd take it to a local tech which did excellent work for me on my Pye HF25 and earlier also on my Dynaco SCA35.

The gentleman concerned didn't return my messages left on his landline or his mobile phone but midmorning today I managed to speak to him.

At first, I only asked him if I could take my 405 to him sometime next week at a time which suited him but what an attitude I got from him - "No, I don't work on Quads!" Then I got quite an earful that he doesn't do repairs any longer etc so I dropped the subject.

Trying my best to be as civil as possible, I then asked him about the ECC35 valve he broke when he rebuilt one of my HF25 monoblocks. This was during August 2016. At the time, he told me that his wife distracted him and that the valve rolled off his workbench and broke.

We had no words about the matter and I mentioned that I will get in touch with our own Charles, which I duly did.

Charles had a used replacement in stock for a very reasonable price and I duly gave the tech all Charles' contact details.

So, in more than a year, the tech made no effort to get a replacement for the item he broke and which I need for when I refurbish the 2nd Pye monoblock.

The tech's attitude was: "Oh that? I don't want to discuss this with you any further"...

What a stinking attitude to have towards a customer.

I never quibbled about his charges, I paid him promptly and we always had a most cordial relationship.

What could have gone wrong since the last time we communicated in August 2016?

skollie 

Latest posts