Author Topic: Unified Remote  (Read 500 times)

Offline KKAN

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
Unified Remote
« on: September 13, 2017, 09:19:03 PM »
Hey guys, came across this app as it was frustrating having to physically be at my laptop just to skip a song, and I was quite impressed with it, as it worked well via WiFi and even Bluetooth. Even the initial setup was a breeze,  so i went ahead and purchased the full version (i think R60).
Then came the disappointment as it seemed the biggest advantage was an add free app, Until... i figured out how to create customized remotes. At this point with some creativity and OS shortcut know-how, controlling you PC with hotkeys, a fully functional track-pad and keyboard  was bliss.
This would be especially useful with a TV as a monitor, as doing a search on a laptop screen from a relative distance may be difficult :giggle:

If you guys decide on purchasing this app, let me know if you need any assistance on customizing (awesome feature as well, is that custom remotes can be shared! if you want to skip the work :2thumbs:)

Cheers

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Unified Remote
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 10:12:34 PM »
been using it for a while now - and i have always reccommended it on the forum  :thumbs: though if i remember correctly it was R40 when i got it (so the price must have increased due to popularity)

its a great app - and i stopped using my keyboard and mouse to control the PC (microserver) in the lounge since i use the phone touchscreen as my mouse and the phone keyboard as my main keyboard - only really need to use the actual physical keybaord if you need to access the Bios

though for my more frequently used PCapps that need remotes i have dedicated remotes ie for Foobar2000 i use

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cav.foobar2000controller&hl=en

For KODI i use

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.xbmc.kore&hl=en

other than that though i seem to be using unified remote more for the keyboard and mouse on your phone though you can get that functionality in the free version

Offline KKAN

• AVForums Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 09:11:48 AM »

other than that though i seem to be using unified remote more for the keyboard and mouse on your phone though you can get that functionality in the free version

Try setting up buttons to to launch your frequently used apps and folders(you will be surprised how much mouse time this saves, I for one always look for a keyboard shortcut over using a mouse), eg you can launch foobar, then just switch apps on your phone to the foobar controller.

I have only just downloaded foobar, and have not tried it as yet, I have recently been using Groove Music on Win10, and I enjoy the interface, in fact there is a significant improvement in sq vs VLC or Winamp

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - listen with your ears
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 10:11:52 AM »
Really good - thanks for the tip

Offline KKAN

• AVForums Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 10:15:23 AM »
 :thumbs:

Offline KKAN

• AVForums Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 02:34:36 PM »
@Naughty, so I have used the foobar remote as well, and it is great!
Although i have to set the server up manually which means inputting the ip address, it does not find it with autoscan. I need to use auto ip on my laptop, how do i get around this?

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 03:21:02 PM »
@Naughty, so I have used the foobar remote as well, and it is great!
Although i have to set the server up manually which means inputting the ip address, it does not find it with autoscan. I need to use auto ip on my laptop, how do i get around this?

hey sorry for the late reply - i did not see this query .... normally the autoscan just works for me - did you install the "foobar2000 controller [PC-side setup] v2.0.1" bit onto your laptop - since this adds a component called "HTTP control" into your foobar and then for me it just picks up on the autoscan

if you have installed it already then im out of ideas as to why it doesnt work for you .... though i have had instances previously when i was working on DHCP (Dynamic Host Control Protocol) that i needed to retype the IP addresses to connect - if this is your problem then you need to use reserved IP addresses for the main computers/devices in your network within your router settings rather than allowing those addresses to change because you are using DHCP .... with a reserved address you type in the IP address once and then it will continually connect automatically thereafter since its always going to be that same IP address

hope this helps

Offline KKAN

• AVForums Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 09:15:35 AM »
 :thumbs: