Author Topic: Wall mounted TT  (Read 506 times)

Offline JAYPSTER

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
  • SPACE........The Vinyl frontier......
Wall mounted TT
« on: September 13, 2017, 11:34:59 AM »
I'm thinking about making a steel bracket with a wooden platform to mount my turn table to the wall.

Has anyone experimented with this?
What are the pro's and con's?
Should the wooden platform be isolated from the bracket?
Lead us not into Digitization, but deliver us some Vinyl.....

Online vinyljan

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Finishing projects
Re: Wall mounted TT
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 06:04:55 PM »
As a rule a sturdy wall mounted (turntable seized) structure should be less affected by external vibrations/sound waves.  Think this is the major benefit, rest of design will have less impact :thinking:
In a maximum bank turn in a normal category airplane, like a typical Cessna, everything is fine until you turn across your own wake

Offline Marius_147

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 12:07:53 PM »
ProJect does this, one difference is you need something to secure the LP on the deck. They have some clip on/screw on cap.

Online fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 12:16:49 PM »
ProJect does this, one difference is you need something to secure the LP on the deck. They have some clip on/screw on cap.
Why would one need this?
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline Crashappy

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 01:58:06 PM »
I think Marius is referring to the Pro-ject vertical player, as supposed to the OP wanting to put his regular TT on a horizontal wall mounted bracket.

Believe me, wall mounted on anything works great, especially if you have an 60kg Boerboel having fun on the floor.

Online vinyljan

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Finishing projects
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 02:09:59 PM »
... especially if you have an 60kg Boerboel having fun on the floor.

In this case maybe also use the clips :whistler:
In a maximum bank turn in a normal category airplane, like a typical Cessna, everything is fine until you turn across your own wake

Offline CAD

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Keep Calm,Be Quiet and Listen to the Music
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 03:41:31 PM »
Believe me, wall mounted on anything works great, especially if you have an 60kg Boerboel having fun on the floor.

:o That's a pretty big hound ,never mind kids or grandkids bumping your kit ,a 60kg Boerboel could do some damage ;D
The way of the warrior is NO match for the way of the wife.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline Crashappy

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 03:48:28 PM »
He nearly did, so I installed a babygate. Luckily it does not like to jump much.

But on a serious note, if the wall is a load bearing, great it is solid. Just put some basic isolation feet between TT and the "shelf".

Offline Triton

• AVForums Member
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 05:47:51 PM »
The sooner you can get your TT out of reach the better, my 2 year old never paid any attention to mine until i left for work.. he removed the cartridge cover and pulled the cantilever out of the body...this on a Clear Audio Concept MC... :facepalm:
Im thinking of doing the same with my TT once i have a new cartridge again

Offline christowp

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 03:22:32 PM »
Wall mounts with frame and spiked shelf were available before - no one doing them anymore?

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 04:17:47 PM »
The sooner you can get your TT out of reach the better, my 2 year old never paid any attention to mine until i left for work.. he removed the cartridge cover and pulled the cantilever out of the body...this on a Clear Audio Concept MC... :facepalm:
Im thinking of doing the same with my TT once i have a new cartridge again

Why would you want to break your cartridge again?
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2017, 04:20:01 PM »
A concept drawing by Murray Kuun designs unlimited.  I like it. 
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline handsome

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2017, 05:45:16 PM »
Funny enough I seem to recall  Linn used to caution against wall mounting shelves for their TTs, they felt more structural vibration was transmitted via the walls, whereas the floor was more 'solid' being attached over its entire area by the foundation......but then i think Ivor spent as much time creating and spreading rumours as he did hi-fi equipment...

Offline Steerpike

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Toybox
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 12:27:31 AM »
Vertical record playing is just a bad idea all round; gimmicky and pretty, but acoustically stupid.

A wall-mounted turntable bracket was the 'best' option  recommended by the experts (i.e., guys who operated the cutting lathes) at RPM/Downtown studios a couple of decades ago.
(applies to concrete / brick walls only, not drywall)

Offline El Sid

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 08:40:49 AM »
Funny enough I seem to recall  Linn used to caution against wall mounting shelves for their TTs, they felt more structural vibration was transmitted via the walls, whereas the floor was more 'solid' being attached over its entire area by the foundation......but then i think Ivor spent as much time creating and spreading rumours as he did hi-fi equipment...

...not when you have wooden floors! 😂

I am lucky because my kit is located on a section of floor that was the passage, so the joists only are about 1.5m from wall to wall and it is very solid there - I've never heard the slightest bump. But my brother isn't so lucky - it's so bad that the stylus skips when you walk in the wrong place (even 5m away!). He is now making a wall bracket for his Thorens.