Author Topic: Video streaming issue  (Read 271 times)

Offline Arkwright

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
Video streaming issue
« on: September 13, 2017, 08:28:47 AM »
We purchased an MXQ Pro TV Box about one month ago for use in our lounge. It came preinstalled with Netflix, Showbox and Kodi. About one or two weeks ago, we began to experience issues with Showbox when watching a program or movie. It began to buffer every one or two minutes, and sometimes restarted the movie. This actually begins after 19:00, and happens every evening. We also installed Showmax, and it has similar problems. Our internet speed is 4 mb/s. Is there an issue with the applications themselves or our internet connection? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Offline BWS

• Administrator
Re: Video streaming issue
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 08:51:34 AM »
Must be your ADSL. Have you run Speedtest during the times you experience buffering?

I'm also on a 4mb line and have zero issues with Netflix
Whoever originally coined the word 'Lisp' and put an 'S' in it's spelling, is a Douchebag !!

Offline Arkwright

• AVForums Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 09:18:09 AM »
Must be your ADSL. Have you run Speedtest during the times you experience buffering?

I'm also on a 4mb line and have zero issues with Netflix

I actually ran one now after seeing your response, and the results were that the download speed is 2.36mbits/s, and the upload speed is 0.31mbits/s. Should any of these numbers be higher?

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • “Without music, life would be a mistake.”
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 09:18:38 AM »
The "contention ratio" between your ISP and yourself is too great.  That means too many people are sharing the same service

What can help:

Change to a capped product rather than an uncapped one
Tell your ISP you are having problems and itemise the aspects you raise above
If they cannot or will not help, use a different ISP
If the service improves marginally, and you are in a coverage area, consider LTE-A

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 09:19:26 AM »
I actually ran one now after seeing your response, and the results were that the download speed is 2.36mbits/s, and the upload speed is 0.31mbits/s. Should any of these numbers be higher?

With a 4mb line, you should see at least 3.4mbps

It is also possible you are too far from the exchange.  The ISP can look that up for you, in fact it is the first check to be done

Edit:  Also check that you have fairly new POTS filters on all your analogue devices.  Is the internal house wiring in good order?  Is the voice line quiet?  Also ask Telkom to "reset your port"
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 09:23:30 AM by chrisc »

Offline Arkwright

• AVForums Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 09:24:58 AM »
The "contention ratio" between your ISP and yourself is too great.  That means too many people are sharing the same service

What can help:

Change to a capped product rather than an uncapped one
Tell your ISP you are having problems and itemise the aspects you raise above
If they cannot or will not help, use a different ISP
If the service improves marginally, and you are in a coverage area, consider LTE-A

Thank you for your suggestions. Currently, we are already on a Capped package, so I will contact the ISP and see if they can sort this out.

Offline Prince

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 10:06:22 AM »
 :vsad:

I'm in a similar boat with my streaming. I'm stuck with a 4Mb ADSL line and on most days when I stream in the afternoons, I experience buffering. This is the norm, as the port on the exchange often deteriorates over time and only a call to the ISP requesting a port reset helps. This is a temporary fix, but does help. You can comfortably stream with a 8mbps data line and above, but also take note, that the streaming speed is dependent on the feed, especially, when its international.

I can comfortably get away with non buffering streams on youtube, when I set it to 240p and sometimes to 360p on my 4mbps data line. I'm awating fibre in my area, because the cost of having LTE-A versus constant speed for streaming is just not worth it in my humble opinion. I would have to run ADSL and LTE-A in conjuction, to achieve what I'm currently on. This adds cost, as I have line rental and ADSL costs to contend with, over and above the LTE-A package. Not too mention that the independent ISP's expect you to buy the LTE-A router at a cost of R1800.

So, I'd suggest try and get a ADSL data line upgrade, if available in your area Or go fibre. LTE-A is still too expensive at the moment.

-Goodluck!

"F5 Amp Power + Pedal Power = F5 Pedal Power"

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 10:16:14 AM »
Afrihost are offering a 110Gb capped LTE-A package for R549 a month, plus you have to buy the Huawei router. 

I had a bad SNAFU with Afrihost recently.  They offered to upgrade me from 4mb to 8mb, assuring me that it would work.  Telkom's guys spent 3 days here trying this and that, and at the behest of Afrihost, replaced all the internal house wiring with twisted pair, new sockets, new POTS filters at a cost of R4000.  It did not work, the line dropped 6 times a day.  When I complained to Afrihost, they said I am too far from the exchange!

They knew that right from the start but I got messed about for 4 weeks with this saga.  A complaint to them was simply ignored.  I think they have gotten too big for their boots and a "FU" attitude to customers does not help either

Offline Prince

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 10:21:53 AM »
Afrihost are offering a 110Gb capped LTE-A package for R549 a month, plus you have to buy the Huawei router. 

I had a bad SNAFU with Afrihost recently.  They offered to upgrade me from 4mb to 8mb, assuring me that it would work.  Telkom's guys spent 3 days here trying this and that, and at the behest of Afrihost, replaced all the internal house wiring with twisted pair, new sockets, new POTS filters at a cost of R4000.  It did not work, the line dropped 6 times a day.  When I complained to Afrihost, they said I am too far from the exchange!

They knew that right from the start but I got messed about for 4 weeks with this saga.  A complaint to them was simply ignored.  I think they have gotten too big for their boots and a "FU" attitude to customers does not help either

I agree - Afrihost has shocking service. At least Webafrica, told me upfront, I'm too far from the exchange to get a 10mbps upgrade on my line. Webafrica has the same LTE-A deal. They trying to sell it to me, as they saying fibre only coming to my area next year, which I don't believe, as Telkom working hard on infrastructure for MyCiti in the area.

So, I will wait it out.

:sd:

Offline Arkwright

• AVForums Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 10:35:39 AM »
:vsad:

I'm in a similar boat with my streaming. I'm stuck with a 4Mb ADSL line and on most days when I stream in the afternoons, I experience buffering. This is the norm, as the port on the exchange often deteriorates over time and only a call to the ISP requesting a port reset helps. This is a temporary fix, but does help. You can comfortably stream with a 8mbps data line and above, but also take note, that the streaming speed is dependent on the feed, especially, when its international.

I can comfortably get away with non buffering streams on youtube, when I set it to 240p and sometimes to 360p on my 4mbps data line. I'm awating fibre in my area, because the cost of having LTE-A versus constant speed for streaming is just not worth it in my humble opinion. I would have to run ADSL and LTE-A in conjuction, to achieve what I'm currently on. This adds cost, as I have line rental and ADSL costs to contend with, over and above the LTE-A package. Not too mention that the independent ISP's expect you to buy the LTE-A router at a cost of R1800.

So, I'd suggest try and get a ADSL data line upgrade, if available in your area Or go fibre. LTE-A is still too expensive at the moment.

-Goodluck!

I just telephoned my ISP, and they did a port reset, so we will see if it has improved. They also suggested that we connect using an Ethernet cable for tonight to see if there is an improvement, otherwise we have to contact them again.

Offline Prince

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 10:49:03 AM »
 :cool:

Thats cool man. Yes, network cable is way better for streaming than wireless.

Online FranZAR

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 10:55:39 AM »
I just telephoned my ISP, and they did a port reset, so we will see if it has improved. They also suggested that we connect using an Ethernet cable for tonight to see if there is an improvement, otherwise we have to contact them again.

Just make sure it is at least CAT5e or preferably CAT6 cable.
Rather be thought a fool than open your mouth and prove it.

Offline Arkwright

• AVForums Member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 11:19:59 AM »
Just make sure it is at least CAT5e or preferably CAT6 cable.

It is a CAT5e cable.

Offline ron g

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 05:41:06 PM »

when the speed drops, use a computer to check devices connected to your network & make sure no one is jumping on your wifi.
if there are, then change router & network names & passwords.
i speak from recent experience....
tetris is a great life lesson.
accomplishments disappear. mistakes pile up till it's game over....

Offline Drifter

• AVForums Veteran
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 08:18:20 PM »
Best I get on my 4mbps adsl line is 2.5mbps. Main reason is the distance from the exchange.

You should not battle with Netflix as their servers are optimized for streaming. The rest is an issue.