2006 Honda Jazz Gearbox Issue

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAD

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Any Jazz owners that have experienced bearing failures with the manual gearbox?

My little Jazz has run well since I bought her in 2014 although there was a slight whiney/rrrrr noise from time to time.Noise was so soft that if I had the windows open or radio on it was barely noticeable.
Mechanic said not to worry they all do this.

Then a little while ago it got bad,Mechanic says is a common problem with these gearboxes...Bearing Failure.WWW also seems to indicate this as a common problem.
His quote as well as another Gearbox guy's quote are similar at R6700 without parts but seems the bearings are a pain as they as specifically made for Honda by NTN :nfi:  They could source fong kong bearings but I don't like that idea.

Called a Honda Dealer and they have done only 4 Bearing Replacements ,so little in fact they don't even keep stock of the bearings.Cost of brining in the bearings including the Thrust Bearing is about R5800. Labout Cost is R7700 with warranty so I would have it done at Honda rather than try and save a grand.

Eish thats a fair whack of change. So looking at some options here..hunt for a second hand gearbox and hope it doesn't suffer the same fate or just get this done @ R13.5K?