DAC Magic Power Supply

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanB

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Just thought I would give a brief word about a torriodal power supply that Hi-Phibian asked me to try on my DAC Magic, quite some time ago. 

When he first brought it round it wouldnt work so I put it aside and forgot about it.

I recently literally tripped over it so I did a bit more investigation and found that it had a blown fuse.  I replaced the fuse and then plugged it to the DAC MAgic.  Worked fine!

After a month or two's listening I have the following comments.

1) When I 1st got my DAC Magic it sounded a little harsh especially when set to the Mid Filter option.  This got much better as it ran in,  However the Mid filter option was still problematic because it was clearly the better option from a sound point of view - fuller richer sound, but its still had a slightly harsh aspect to it that became fatiguing after a while so I kept switching away and then coming back again.  However with the new power supply that isnt a problem any more, it sounds great in fact, none or very little digital glare, very full dynamic sound.  Lots and lots of detail.
2)  I haven't listened to my Electrocomaniet CD player for months.  I'm sure on a detailed A/B test it would still be better but the difference is now very small IMO, and the convenience of playlists running on the Mediator in random selection mode is fantastic.  Its like your own personal radio station that plays northing but your favourite music at ultra high quality.

I have to admit I haven't done A/B tests between the two power supplies. But I have no intention of sticking the original one back, because the system sounds really good as it is IMO.

So if you are running a DAC Magic, its something to think about.

Latest posts