Author Topic: Kenwood KR-1400 - KEF Cantor  (Read 605 times)

Offline juventino

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • AVForums Veteran
Kenwood KR-1400 - KEF Cantor
« on: August 29, 2017, 10:19:33 PM »
Got my hands on this set this weekend.

Needs a service as scratchy and depending on which dial you press or turn it drops a channel.

But when all up it sounds beautiful

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Time to get back to when I enjoyed listening......no more upgrading, more of a headache than a pleasure

Offline HBAutomation

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Kenwood KR-1400 - KEF Cantor
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 11:13:01 PM »
 :thumbs:  I love the 'modular' design.  So much easier to work on.
Looks awesome too.
Nice find!
Any thoughts on how to 'pull' that tweeter. Regulated Mac Guyver vaccume through a thin pipe maybe?

Offline juventino

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 11:17:23 PM »
I tried prestik but it's a stiff material.
Will try the vacuum really softly.
Time to get back to when I enjoyed listening......no more upgrading, more of a headache than a pleasure

Offline HBAutomation

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 11:32:59 PM »
Vaccume will probably not work. I once had a similar issue and used a piece of cotton with a tiny dab of super glu on the end. Once set, gave it a light pull and it popped out. I then sat with the problem of removing the cotton. I used those tiny but incredibly useful 'nose hair' scissors. The tiny piece of glued cotton that remained looked better than the dented cone!

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 06:53:15 AM »
That is simply just beautiful! Well done on the find.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline juventino

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 09:12:07 AM »
The Kenwood is off to get a service, hopefully nothing serious as can not wait to hear how it sounds.

Now for the KEF Cantor need advice from the gurus on here.
The one speaker was dropped and the cabinet has cracked on the right side and come apart on the joints top and the bottom as per the one pic i posted.
Would it be worth taking them apart re-using the front baffle (Not removing the drivers) and back as there is no issues and get new sides top and bottom done?

Offline Rotelman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 09:33:52 AM »
I've had a similair problem with some old speaker enclosures.

I initially kept the externals untouched and lined the internal space on the sides, top and bottom with some 8mm plywood glued and screwed to the externals (also consider some pine battens in the corners). This forms a portal frame and when sequenced for the broken panel last, this pulled the damaged external panel mostly into it's position. With an adequate amount of woodglue, the pulling in of the external panel caused the glue to ooze out through any openings thus sealing it from the inside.

Once stabalised, I fiddled with the problematic external piece until the fit was good and external alignment was OK. (You won't necessarily get it perfect...)

Left it to set and cure and then sanded and treated the external timber. The crack, marks and a narrow strip that was open, is slightly visible after the fix upon close inspection, but the external is now smooth, sturdy and solid and internally it's sealed.

Worked a charm and was very satisfying to make them sing properly again.

Offline marantz123

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 02:59:41 PM »
Post some pics of the damage...lets see. 1st choice wud be to retain its authenticity and only replace panels if its beyond repair. Decent woodglue and good clamping clamping and preparation can fix most problems.

Offline juventino

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 03:18:41 PM »
Post some pics of the damage...lets see. 1st choice wud be to retain its authenticity and only replace panels if its beyond repair. Decent woodglue and good clamping clamping and preparation can fix most problems.

Will post some pics tonight

Offline juventino

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 03:20:32 PM »
The poor Kenwood needs more than just a little work done so will shelve it for a day way down the line when i have money to throw away.

Offline thenoizeguy

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 04:06:21 PM »
NEVER use supa glue or any other glue for that matter to pull out a tweeter dome.

Get some stick on velcro and cut a small (2mm ) strip from the soft side.

peel the backing off and use the sticky part to pull out your tweeter.

The backing has the perfect grip-release of any other sticky product I've used before, and it leaves on residue.
Expensive cables come in fancy silk lined wooden boxes to make you feel better about spending a fortune on them.

Offline juventino

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 04:10:13 PM »
NEVER use supa glue or any other glue for that matter to pull out a tweeter dome.

Get some stick on velcro and cut a small (2mm ) strip from the soft side.

peel the backing off and use the sticky part to pull out your tweeter.

The backing has the perfect grip-release of any other sticky product I've used before, and it leaves on residue.

Thank you will give that a try.

And yip I forgot to put up pics wil still have to get to that.

Offline thenoizeguy

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2017, 04:30:21 PM »
Should have read " leaves NO residue "  ;D
Expensive cables come in fancy silk lined wooden boxes to make you feel better about spending a fortune on them.

Offline juventino

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2017, 11:03:42 AM »
Should have read " leaves NO residue "  ;D

Yip figured thats what you meant.
Havent even had a chance to try. Been busy with other things and also a little lazy. Will get to it though.