Author Topic: Changing pads on DT990 Pros  (Read 1452 times)

Offline capetownwatches

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Iacta Alea Est
Re: Changing pads on DT990 Pros
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2017, 09:53:13 AM »
The 990 pads ruin the 770 in exactly the same way as visa versa. It's pretty incredible considering that on the surface, they're basically open and closed versions of each other. Obviously, there's a lot more science going on than I care to learn about ;D

My replacement pads are on their way to Cape Town as we speak - excellent service from all involved (thanks Grumpy Bear).

Based on my recent experience with swopping pads I would ONLY, EVER use the original equipment Beyerdynamic replacement pads.
These cans are simply too sensitive to anything other than OEM pads it would seem.
Would be interested to hear others' experiences with aftermarket pads like Brainwavz etc, but can't imagine they would be good.
The stock pads are so comfy anyway - why try to fix what patently ain't broke?

Amps: NFB11.32 [upgraded] - Little Dot MKll [upgraded] - X-Can V3
DAC:   Benchmark DAC1 USB
Cans:  LCD2F - HD600 - DT990Pro 250 - K612Pro - K171MKll - Y50

Offline Wietsche

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2017, 11:37:21 AM »
Awesome! Congrats! Now I also know who to ask for new stock pads later :)

Fully agree with going for the stock pads.

The DT770 Pro 80ohm black velour pads are not so comfortable as the DT990s. They are stiff and if the clamp of the headband is a bit tight it becomes uncomfortable quickly and creates pressure spots (for me at least). Shure 1540 pads fixes that, but you need to cut out the inner driver cover of the pad to make them open doughnuts like the stock pads to retain the sound. Else that dull muffled sound that was mentioned is there and no sparkles exist anymore...

But for the Shure pads' price, using the stock pads and "bending" the headband to reduce clamp is probably a better fix.. I cannot justify or recommend buying Shure pads just for this mod. So my comments above is useless to most people  :facepalm:

Offline grumpybear

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2017, 01:12:33 PM »
For further clarification

EDT990V pads have holes in the back and work on DT880 and 990
EDT770V and VB (velour, black) have no holes and work on current model DT770 80 and 250 ohm, comfort should be the same as EDT990V.
EDT770S is for DT770M and DT770 Pro 32 Ohm
EDT770SG work on pre 2004 DT770/880/990, they have the holes in the back and a separate ring goes between the pads and drivers to block the holes off on closed back headphones.  They are not interchangeable with or as comfortable as the newer design.

These are the standard versions but there have been others from time to time.

Offline capetownwatches

• AVForums Veteran
  • Iacta Alea Est
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2017, 01:22:33 PM »
Thanks for the great info. Gotta hand it to Beyer, they cover every base with the DT series.

I disassembled my 990s when I got them to clean and inspect and change the pads.
Very easy to do and very few parts. Try this with a 6 or 7 series AKG...
Pad changes now take me about 4 minutes with all the practice I've recently had.

Offline Wietsche

• AVForums Member
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2017, 01:54:44 PM »
For further clarification

EDT990V pads have holes in the back and work on DT880 and 990
EDT770V and VB (velour, black) have no holes and work on current model DT770 80 and 250 ohm, comfort should be the same as EDT990V.
EDT770S is for DT770M and DT770 Pro 32 Ohm
EDT770SG work on pre 2004 DT770/880/990, they have the holes in the back and a separate ring goes between the pads and drivers to block the holes off on closed back headphones.  They are not interchangeable with or as comfortable as the newer design.

These are the standard versions but there have been others from time to time.
I will have to send you pics later to show you this, but my pads on the DT770 Pro 80ohm Limited Black Edition have pads with holes in them in the back and no extra ring, except for the retaining ring for the driver felt cover. This pair came new from the US, this year.

I am now totally confused. I wonder if this means I can get softer stock velour pads for my DT770 that sounds perfectly stock?

Can you please indicate how much they cost locally or send me a PM with some details?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Offline grumpybear

• Commercial Member
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2017, 04:21:47 PM »

"pads on the DT770 Pro 80ohm Limited Black Edition have pads with holes in them in the back and no extra ring, except for the retaining ring for the driver felt cover"

Hi Wietsche
The only Limited Black Edition that I am aware of was a 32Ohm version released in 2012, Beyer can be very confusing over the years so it is quite possible that yours are 80Ohm but I am not sure how old they would be.  I suspect you would be able to use pads from the Custom Pro series which may be more comfortable.

Best option would be for our technical guy to get hold of them and have a look but if you are not in Gauteng that would be an issue.  In the meantime I will get a mail sent to Germany to query your options.

Offline Wietsche

• AVForums Member
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2017, 05:20:15 PM »
Thanks! That will help a lot! See my picture attached. Got them from Amazon.com and they are still available if you just search for them. I will post close-up pictures of the pads later when back at home.

I am in Gauteng, but let's first see if we can figure this out without too much effort. They are still awesome rolling with the Shures for now.

Sorry for hijacking this thread OP..

Offline Wietsche

• AVForums Member
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2017, 10:54:06 PM »
Here are some more details as promised. Are these the "holy" pads you reffered to?

You can see the airy stiff sponge inside the pad through the holes. It makes this cruchy fresh bath sponge sound if you squeeze them.

This is not how the DT990 pads look or feel like from what I recall. Not even close.

Very interested to hear what you make of this.

Offline Wietsche

• AVForums Member
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2017, 11:30:16 AM »
Hi grumpybear! Any feedback yet from Germany or some comments on the pics I attached?

Offline grumpybear

• Commercial Member
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2017, 11:39:18 AM »
We are waiting for answers from beyerdynamic in Germany.

Offline grumpybear

• Commercial Member
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2017, 02:30:09 PM »
Info from beyerdynamic as follows

DT770 Pro Limited Edition 80 Ohm is manufactured specifically for Amazon.  There is no sound difference between this and the standard 80 Ohm version.

EDT770 VB and V are identical except for colour.  They can be used as replacements for the EDT770SG softskin type pads.  Softskin is suggested for multiple users as they are easier to clean, they are however less comfortable.

EDT990 is for DT880 and 990 only, they cannot be used on DT770 variants.

All of the above have holes in the back.

EDT770S have no holes and are for DT770M and DT770 Pro 32 Ohm.

EDT770SG are for pre 2004 models with the retaining ring and for current generation units without the ring.

Hopefully that clears up any confusion (including mine)

So in summary Wietsche, yes you can fit EDT770V or VB Velour pads to your headphones and they should be more comfortable.

Offline Wietsche

• AVForums Member
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2017, 08:27:20 PM »
Thank you very much for that info! It is very helpfull, and sure lots of members will benefit from this info.

I will send you a PM about the pads.

@capetownwatches, how are those new pads?

Offline capetownwatches

• AVForums Veteran
  • Iacta Alea Est
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2017, 08:41:44 PM »
Thank you very much for that info! It is very helpfull, and sure lots of members will benefit from this info.

I will send you a PM about the pads.

@capetownwatches, how are those new pads?

Still waiting for them to arrive at the dealers. Promised for this week.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Offline capetownwatches

• AVForums Veteran
  • Iacta Alea Est
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2017, 07:50:28 PM »

The Eagle has landed...

Fitting was not as easy as with the worn pads since the plastic lip is rather stiffer, but accomplished with minimal profanity nonetheless.
Makes a significant difference to both comfort and sound quality.
Everything sounds crisper, more dynamic and more focused, with deeper bass and dammit if they don't sound louder too!

Simply outstanding headphones, and will likely be my go-to pairing with the NFB-11.28 for most types of music.
They have an amazing synergy that one can hear and feel.

Now excuse me, I'm going to rediscover my music collection... :groovy:

Offline Comedian

• AVForums Member
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2017, 12:22:09 PM »
The 770 do indeed use different pads, 990 and 880 are stated to use the same 990 pads. However, I had a pleasure to own all 3 models (all in Pro) and the 880 pads were actually the perfect marriage of 770 and 990. The sound signature was indeed of the 990, however they are as firm (i.e. not flattening under clamp pressure) as 770 at least the factory fitted ones (quite frankly they also look the same as 770s, unlike 990 ones). Have a photo of the 3 somewhere specifically illustrating the pads, will post if can find it. The worst are the 770 drummer edition pleather ones, but the phones themselves are also highly specific.

Try Dekoni pads, they have a whole range for the DT series.
They do come with a price (you looking at around 50USD plus delivery and tax if applicable) but I only heard good things about them, still on the to do list for me to try them out.

Link:

https://dekoniaudio.com/?s=dt990

Off-topic:
Regarding the DT990 Pro, they absolutely need a valve, no other way and the warmer the better.
I was running mine on Aune T1 Se (tube integrated as part of the DAC circuit with a solid state amp section) with an Amperex Jan 7308/Reflector 6H23p-EB. Unfortunately dropped Amperex not that long ago so currently sitting on a Reflector until can source replacement Amperex. To my taste Amperex is THE single perfect valve for DT990 Pro from what I tried. Having said this - I would suggest to run a backup valve for routine use (hence the Reflector). Reason - Amperex pushes the brightness, sound-stage, clarity, amount of detail et cetera to pretty much borderline infinity (this is especially true for sound-stage) which creates an insane holography and density which in term may be a little overwhelming if you are not in the right mindset and mood at the time. While providing an absolutely GORGEOUS result this combo can get a little tiring for a laid-back sort of "background" listening. Reflector is much less bright and aggressive while maintaining a very nice sound-stage, imaging and detailing. But my suggestion is if you go down that route, try it out on various valves if you have an opportunity to decide for yourself which one is more suitable, but still do yourself a favor and do get at least a test run on Amprex, you will not get disappointed.  ;)