Author Topic: Selling without the 50 post rule  (Read 1521 times)

Offline Rotelman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
Re: Selling without the 50 post rule
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2017, 04:44:19 PM »
The Classifieds are the most populated section on the forum, Topics-wise, and the second most populated on the forum, Posts-wise, so obviously us newbies would be drawn to it. Engaging with others on there looking for specific gear should not be a problem. Purchasing from a newbie through such engagement by a >50 post count forumite is a decision by the >50 post count forumite and surely this should be his/her prerogative to do so should they deem it an action of acceptably low risk.

The rule regarding >50 post count prior to selling gear in the Classifieds is crystal clear and the reasoning behind it solid. Pretty sure everyone supports it.

To be honest, I wasn't even aware that the restriction is only for AV Items: For Sale and not for the rest. Wouldn't have bothered me in the least if the restriction was for the whole section.

Nonetheless and regardless, it's a matter of respect (for rule(s) and other forumites). After-all, respect makes up the points in the fine line between anarchy and order.

Just my 5c.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2017, 05:17:22 PM »
You forgot to thank your maths teacher.
that's cause he's no good at maths... :angel:
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Tzs503gp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
  • HiFi- trust your ears- eyes lie
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2017, 05:38:37 PM »
Already slunk away- nothing to see here!

Hold on! Why is my post count now 40?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 05:41:41 PM by Tzs503gp »

Offline FranZAR

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2017, 05:42:59 PM »
Already slunk away- nothing to see here!

Hold on! Why is my post count now 40?

Rotten = Evil...  :point:
Rather be thought a fool than open your mouth and prove it.

Offline JonnyP

• Gear Slut²
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2017, 05:45:11 PM »
I totally agree that people with under 50 posts should not be able to advertise their stuff. You might get chancers  on here who try to sell their 9/10 condition Boston CR77s with Rotel RB-03 in 7/10 condition (recently serviced), and Boston PV 500 sub in 8/10 condition, for R5000,00.
How would you know this person is in Midrand, and willing to ship at buyers cost and risk? Could you risk asking for pics of the goods via PM?
There's gotta be rules.

Well played sir, well played.

Posts in classified don't count to your total apparently
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline Tzs503gp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
  • HiFi- trust your ears- eyes lie
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2017, 06:02:13 PM »
I see. I have been smitten by the hand of the forum Gods.

Worth it!!

« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 06:09:39 PM by Tzs503gp »

Offline vinyljan

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Finishing projects
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2017, 06:03:41 PM »
I think members with less than 50 posts should not be allowed to BUY anything, except maybe after it's been advertised for a few days :whistler:.  Lost a few to members with less than 10 posts :ROFLMAO:
In a maximum bank turn in a normal category airplane, like a typical Cessna, everything is fine until you turn across your own wake

Offline JonnyP

• Gear Slut²
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2017, 06:19:49 PM »
I bought my first item on the forum after 0 posts.  Think I was still under 50 when I bought the Exclame from one vinyljan!
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline TimbaLand

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2017, 06:45:56 PM »
I totally agree that people with under 50 posts should not be able to advertise their stuff. You might get chancers  on here who try to sell their 9/10 condition Boston CR77s with Rotel RB-03 in 7/10 condition (recently serviced), and Boston PV 500 sub in 8/10 condition, for R5000,00.
How would you know this person is in Midrand, and willing to ship at buyers cost and risk? Could you risk asking for pics of the goods via PM?
There's gotta be rules.

People here have been conned by forumites with posts exceeding 100s. It all just comes down to practicing discretion and trusting your instincts
Marantz AV8801|Rotel RC1570, RMB1585 and RMB1565| B&W 804 Diamond, HTM2 Diamond, DB1 and CCM382|Harman Kardon BDT30|Samsung PS60E550|Optoma HD25E projector|Grandview motorised screen| Audioquest CV4 speaker cables and Mogami XLR

Offline vinyljan

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Finishing projects
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2017, 06:48:56 PM »
I bought my first item on the forum after 0 posts.  Think I was still under 50 when I bought the Exclame from one vinyljan!

:point: Touchè.....well kinda
In a maximum bank turn in a normal category airplane, like a typical Cessna, everything is fine until you turn across your own wake

Offline Ju_dy@RT

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+22)
    • Remedytec
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2017, 08:31:54 PM »

I've successfully sold to PLENTY members with very few posts.  I have had not one bad deal and understand that some people are just not enclined to be very vocal on public forums. Occasionally when I advertise for "forum members only", I've even had individuals register for the sole purpose... and that's ok too, because often they stick around.

Offline Drifter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2017, 08:44:19 PM »
I fully support the 50 post count. It won't guarantee crooks be kept out but at least it ensures people contribute to the forum (even just if it lasts only until their stuff has been sold).

Offline HBAutomation

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2017, 08:59:08 PM »
The fifty post rule is essential. Takes time and effort to get to sell. So generally the members that stick around are genuine!

I'm pretty sure 99.5% of all trades done here have been on the up and up because of this rule!

Offline JonnyP

• Gear Slut²
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2017, 10:26:15 PM »
I agree with the 50 post rule as it encourages participation. I've learnt a lot over the last couple of years particularly about valve amps and a bit about vinyl cleaning which has been invaluable.  Also a lot about how cables affect the sound..... :popcorn:

Offline kenvanraas

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2017, 10:33:39 PM »
If you really are an audio lover,50 posts on this site should be easy,and a breeze  :groovy:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 10:57:43 PM by kenvanraas »