Author Topic: Selling without the 50 post rule  (Read 1522 times)

Offline gapco

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
Selling without the 50 post rule
« on: August 23, 2017, 09:51:50 AM »
Of late there have been a few things I don't see as fair. Just yesterday a new member had some one word posts quarantined because it was felt he was building up his post count. Fair enough. However in the AV wanted section  there is a veteran member who is looking for a decent cassette deck to which there are two replies.

Both replies to this request are from members with less than the required 50 post count. IMO there is nothing stopping these guys from offering and selling their kit by way of PM.

Now this does not affect me as I have never advertised anything for sale and probably never will.  I have no solution for this though.

So how is this matter going to be sorted out ?
Give me an espresso and nobody gets hurt....

Offline GoodEnoughGear

• AVForums Member
Re: Selling without the 50 post rule
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 12:29:45 PM »
I'm not sure I see a big problem. Noobs can't post classifieds, to avoid people just using the forum to offload gear without contributing to the community. The fact they can respond to an ad doesn't really undermine this mechanism IMO.

Online Scrat

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Real men don't drink pink drinks, Dave....
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 12:34:10 PM »
Scammers THRIVE on wanted ads. I think the rule should be extended to wanted ads.
It's not the size of the sub, it's where you place it.

Offline vleisman

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 01:33:55 PM »
As long as there are rules, there will be people that obey, sidestep, bend or break them. Not worth losing sleep over IMO. I believe this practice encourages creative thinking (on both sides, those that create the rules and those that try work around them) and as such is generally a good thing.

Golf is a great example of bad rule making, where they have created a number of messy situations, the most recent being the long putter/anchoring debacle (not sure if this thread can be derailed, but I'm trying)  :cool:

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 02:02:50 PM »
I'm not sure I see a big problem. Noobs can't post classifieds, to avoid people just using the forum to offload gear without contributing to the community. The fact they can respond to an ad doesn't really undermine this mechanism IMO.

Currently, these are our thoughts as well. Should we find signs of any fraudulent activity arising because of this lenience, the right of reply by new members can be curtailed but we would prefer to not have to do this.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline skylix001

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 03:00:27 PM »
Just for the record I'm trying g to get my post count up. I have sold something on here to someone that had a wanted ad up. I actually thought it was for some other forum that I'm on and didn't see any issues with the sale.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Offline Tzs503gp

• AVForums Member
  • HiFi- trust your ears- eyes lie
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 04:04:01 PM »
I totally agree that people with under 50 posts should not be able to advertise their stuff. You might get chancers  on here who try to sell their 9/10 condition Boston CR77s with Rotel RB-03 in 7/10 condition (recently serviced), and Boston PV 500 sub in 8/10 condition, for R5000,00.
How would you know this person is in Midrand, and willing to ship at buyers cost and risk? Could you risk asking for pics of the goods via PM?
There's gotta be rules.

Offline Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 04:15:49 PM »
I totally agree that people with under 50 posts should not be able to advertise their stuff. You might get chancers  on here who try to sell their 9/10 condition Boston CR77s with Rotel RB-03 in 7/10 condition (recently serviced), and Boston PV 500 sub in 8/10 condition, for R5000,00.
How would you know this person is in Midrand, and willing to ship at buyers cost and risk? Could you risk asking for pics of the goods via PM?
There's gotta be rules.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

10 outta 10!
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline Ju_dy@RT

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+22)
    • Remedytec
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 04:17:19 PM »
There's gotta be rules.

ahhhh.... give that man a Bells!!!
(and two more post because you CAN :thumbs:)

Offline Tzs503gp

• AVForums Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 04:18:59 PM »
48 posts and counting admin!

Offline BobsYourUncle

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 04:26:10 PM »
if your reply to this, it will be 48
Kempton Park, Estrand,GP

Offline Tzs503gp

• AVForums Member
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 04:30:56 PM »
So this is post 50!! Whohooo! I'd just like to thank my mother, who has always been there when I needed her, thanks to the neighbors for retracting their case of noise disturbance, after I got my RB1582, and everyone who has helped me get to my current setup! Oh, and Gapco for starting this momentous thread, without which, I would have remained a pre50 for at least another week!

Offline FranZAR

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 04:35:08 PM »
So this is post 50!! Whohooo! I'd just like to thank my mother, who has always been there when I needed her, thanks to the neighbors for retracting their case of noise disturbance, after I got my RB1582, and everyone who has helped me get to my current setup! Oh, and Gapco for starting this momentous thread, without which, I would have remained a pre50 for at least another week!
You forgot to thank your maths teacher.
Rather be thought a fool than open your mouth and prove it.

Offline Tzs503gp

• AVForums Member
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 04:39:23 PM »
Dammit- so I did. I'll have to remember him when I hit 100 posts.

Offline BobsYourUncle

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 04:42:05 PM »

You forgot to thank your maths teacher.

:giggle: :giggle: :tongue:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 04:44:56 PM by BobsYourUncle »
Kempton Park, Estrand,GP