Building compact 8"/10" subs for compact array -recommended drivers?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyfeld

Reaction score
Hi everyone, as a solo performing musician I've used a Bose L1model 2 and liked it but want to try build something similiar(passive) but twice as loud..ie around 127db continuous! I've found Faital 4" full range drivers(30wrms, 91db sens,100-20khz) that I plan to use for the column(12x).I'd like the sub(s) to do 40-120,but be carryable with one hand, a la Bose B2(2x10)-style. Been looking at Eminence, Beyma, Faital and even Fane.  Anyone use a brand called Big 5 Audio sold by Proaudio and Soundselect? Their 12" Lion 1000 model's specs look impressive (100db sens,500wrms, Fs 42, 38hz)but probably not accurate(Chinese made, I think)

Do you think 127db spl achievable with this skinny column type? I've seen makers like db technologies advertise similiar products with these specs..
I have 3 Synq 1k0 1000wrms d-class amps I can use for power.
Also, can anyone recommend 10" drivers that that I can use for 2x10 compact subs that do 40hz?(eg. 125/250wrms,94db sens)

Regarding total spl, I've always been led to believe you get 3db each time you double your power and another 3db every doubling of speaker number, especially if they're close-coupled in an array. Recently someone supposedly knowledgeable told me in the real world that you can really only count on 3db each time you double in power and speaker numbers. Any thoughts on this?
Thanks.

Latest posts