Author Topic: WE300B tubes  (Read 8217 times)

Offline Cuco

Re: WE300B tubes
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2017, 10:03:10 AM »
I totally agree with Jazzy there. I could never afford a genuine pair of 1950's WE valves.

I was very optimistic about these clones for they did a lot of work to clone the WE faithfully (down to metallurgy).  Ender, talk to Vusi, I was planning to get you both together for a 300B comparison anyway. He has possibly THE best SE amp in SA.

Ill order my set as soon as I have the funds (major luxury here)  :notworthy:

Hi Francois, I did talk to him. We’re going to compare the real thing to the replica. My WE300B has gone backwards since its glorious first 8-10 hours. Some say it needs minimum 200 hours to sound at its full potential. We'll see....

Offline Ricketysmurf

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2017, 06:28:26 PM »
Hi Francois, I did talk to him. We’re going to compare the real thing to the replica. My WE300B has gone backwards since its glorious first 8-10 hours. Some say it needs minimum 200 hours to sound at its full potential. We'll see....

Cuco, mine puffed and wheezed for a while when I first started them up,I accepted this was something that I would just need to deal with.
However they continue to improve and have settled down and become noise free, that also seem to have gone through a barrier of some sort where everything has fallen into place. Given that a pair of the real thing is out of my reach, I would still recommend the Psvane to anyone..
Audio Note
   Music's Finest Conductor

Offline Kent Kassler

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2017, 08:00:10 AM »
the Psvane 1:1 replica is very very good. There are some reviews that put them between the 1957 WE and the later 79's and 90's versions.

I will be able to give you an idea in next 3 weeks or so. Original R40k 57 WE's vs Psvane 300b's and the 1:1 replica's

If the consensus of the "panel" is that they approach the WE I'm ordering my set.

Any news on this François? .....I'd be keen to know the outcome of your comparison ?
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline Cuco

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2017, 03:11:33 PM »
We compared the Psvane WE300B to Jazzy's original WE300B's at Jazzy's place.

Jazzy is fully Vinyl, has arguably the best SET amp (according Francois). The sound that his system produces is very natural and musical. I kept telling myself NO NO NO don't get into Vinyl while listening. It's probably one of the best systems I've heard. Louis Armstrong, St. james Infirmary sounded monumental, like an occasion, fully engaging.

To the WE300B's. The WE300B's sound like they are not there (this is Jazzy's comment to which I agree), the music is not edgy, no harshness, no biting highs, it just flows. Fully engaging sound. The Psvane WE300B's sounded similar, a lttle more highs, a bit harsher. Howeever they had only about 40 hours on the clock, so were not run it yet. The difference betwen the tubes were not significant in my opnion. However, in order for me to compare it better I'd need to listen to both tubes in my system. Therefore, Jazzy's comments would be more valuable.

Offline Jazzy

The Vinyl Frontier!

Offline Ricketysmurf

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2017, 10:04:22 PM »
http://www.monoandstereo.com/2017/12/legendary-western-electric-300-b-tube.html?m=1#more

Jazzy
I contacted the UK dealer purely out of interest a couple of weeks ago, apparently the valves never appeared for some reason. Pity.

A
Audio Note
   Music's Finest Conductor

Offline Ricketysmurf

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2017, 01:12:07 PM »
Jazzy
I contacted the UK dealer purely out of interest a couple of weeks ago, apparently the valves never appeared for some reason. Pity.

A

Let’s hope what’s updated on the website about 2018 becomes an affordable reality.
Audio Note
   Music's Finest Conductor

Offline Jazzy

The Vinyl Frontier!

Offline Ricketysmurf

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2018, 05:38:44 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Jazzy. Look forward to the availability.

A
Audio Note
   Music's Finest Conductor

Offline Cuco

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2018, 09:26:25 AM »
Thanks Jazzy, good price too. I was going to order another pair of Psvane WE300B but it is worth waiting for this.

Offline Nidri

« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2019, 06:08:12 PM »
So they say they are finally getting close now.
US Pre-orders opening 11 Jan.
Singles $700. Matched pairs $1500.
About the same as a pair of Takatsuki's.
(https://www.partsconnexion.com/TSUKI-81942.html)

http://www.westernelectric.com/products/300b.html

Let's see.

Whilst Nidri takes reasonable care to ensure that the information in this message is correct and up to date, this might not always be the case. Nidri does not give any warranties as to the accuracy and safety of any information appearing in this message.

Offline Nidri

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2019, 07:39:43 PM »
This time they're really almost maybe kind of ready with those WE300B's:

(https://mailchi.mp/westernelectric/batch-process-montage)

Video evidence:
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA8G5zRjriI&feature=emb_logo)
Whilst Nidri takes reasonable care to ensure that the information in this message is correct and up to date, this might not always be the case. Nidri does not give any warranties as to the accuracy and safety of any information appearing in this message.