Author Topic: WE300B tubes  (Read 1371 times)

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+75)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
Re: WE300B tubes
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2017, 11:25:58 AM »
More detail, better highs, better imaging, punchier bass and most importantly the sound stage was a lot wider.
Everything you are describing could be attributed to the amp characteristics and also careful matching of the tubes. My 0.02
Of course, good luck with your order, I really hope it proves worth it.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline Cuco

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2017, 11:33:25 AM »
Everything you are describing could be attributed to the amp characteristics and also careful matching of the tubes. My 0.02
Of course, good luck with your order, I really hope it proves worth it.

Thanks, we tested on the same amp (Audionote 300B KIT) by changing the tubes. 

Offline Cuco

• AVForums Member
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2017, 08:42:09 AM »
Advise needed please.

I ordered a pair of Psvane GE 300B tubes from Grant Fidelity. The item is sitting at SA customs for a while now. They have decided to audit this item. They need me to complete some documents for the NRCS (National Regulator for Compulsory Specifications).  :walled: I said that I don't want to deal with proving anything to anybody and that they must send it back to Canada. It seems that once customs gets hold of it DHL can't take it back. This can take months I assume....

Any advise would be appreciated....

Offline fredeb

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Lost in Music
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2017, 08:15:34 AM »
All I normally do , is go to Customs with a receipt to prove how much I paid for an item . This is a step beyond whatever is normally necessary . I prefer not getting anything through DHL , Fedex or UPS .
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Cuco

• AVForums Member
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2017, 02:58:44 PM »
All I normally do , is go to Customs with a receipt to prove how much I paid for an item . This is a step beyond whatever is normally necessary . I prefer not getting anything through DHL , Fedex or UPS .

Thank you!

Offline Moog

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2017, 02:50:00 PM »
I have not yet listened to the WE 300 B. What I can say is that my set integrated amp came with Shuguang 98 300Bs. When one of them was broken, I replaced them with Electro Harmonic Gold 300B and noticed that the sound quality had gone down. The manufacturer recommends TJ 300B Mesh Plate for best sound quality with this amp.
I was impressed by Hendrix. His attitude was brilliant. Even the way he walked was amazing -

Richie Hugh Blackmore

Offline Cuco

• AVForums Member
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2017, 12:45:27 PM »
Hi All,

I just want to give an update to the people who have responded to my post.

As mentioned in general discussions, I have recieved the two pair of tubes. A pair of Shuguang Treasure 6sn7's and a pair of Psvane WE300B replicas.

My system consists of a Lampi 4 DAC, Ming Da MC300 pre, Audionote 300B Kit power amp, Unison Research Max 1 speakers. The test was done without any alcohol or smokeable foreign substances.

I replaced the standard 6sn7's on the MD pre with the Treasure 6sn7 first to hear the difference. Imaging and detail became much better. My wife and I started hearing things that were not there before.

I then replaced the Electro Harmonix 300B's with the WE300B's on the power amp. The change was less dramatic in comparison to the 6sn7's initially. After a few hours of listening, it seemed that the sound stage grew somewhat, the highs sounded more detailed and the overall sound was "crisper". It didn't have the boomy bass that the Electro Harmonix 300B provided, which I don't prefer.

Spending R10k on tubes improved the system amazingly. I guess it is the harmony between the various units that makes the difference.

Cheers.

Offline fredeb

• AVForums Veteran
  • Lost in Music
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2017, 12:52:43 PM »
Good to hear the R10k you spent was worth it . I need a Quad of 300B's and was wondering whether the Shuang " Hifi " tubes would cut it . Where did you purchase yours from ?
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Cuco

• AVForums Member
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2017, 01:02:45 PM »
Good to hear the R10k you spent was worth it . I need a Quad of 300B's and was wondering whether the Shuang " Hifi " tubes would cut it . Where did you purchase yours from ?

Judging by the Shuguang treasure 6sn7's, I'd think that the Treasure 300B's would be very good. It is highly rated in all forums. My second choice would have been the Treasures. I bought it from Grant Fidelity, they operate in Hong Kong but ship 300B's from Canada. Customer service is incredible, seriously..., highly recommended

Offline Cuco

• AVForums Member
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2017, 10:12:05 PM »

Picture of the WE300B glowing blue. Apparently it's normal. The glow seems to be caused by the electrons striking the plate, volatilizing the surface and dislodging atoms of nickel.... Well it looks very nice.

Offline fredeb

• AVForums Veteran
  • Lost in Music
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2017, 03:35:37 AM »
It certainly does look good - good pic too .

Apparently it's normal. The glow seems to be caused by the electrons striking the plate, volatilizing the surface and dislodging atoms of nickel .

Or this ? : Cherenkov radiation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherenkov_radiation
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 03:39:10 AM by fredeb »
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Cuco

• AVForums Member
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2017, 09:29:39 AM »
It certainly does look good - good pic too .

Or this ? : Cherenkov radiation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherenkov_radiation

Interesting, thanks, never heard of it before. It says that the speed of light in vacuum is c, but the light speed in water is 0.75c. So any electrons accelerated beyond 0.75c like in nuclear reactions may glow blue....

Offline Jazzy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • S.E.T. for life!
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2017, 09:11:14 PM »
For 15 years I have played with 4 different 300Bs in my amp and the Western Electrics are miles ahead of everything else. In fact to be honest, I don't take any other 300B variant seriously I.e. if I start reading a review of a 300B component I loose interest as soon as I realise that they installed EH or similar valves. I could go on and tell you the differences here but a phone call would be more appropriate. It's at a level where if I damaged mine and couldn't afford to replace them then i am certain that I would be devastated for life from knowing how far backwards my system has gone.
The Vinyl Frontier!

Offline fredeb

• AVForums Veteran
  • Lost in Music
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2017, 09:54:08 PM »
Sounds VERY good Jazzy !

Anybody else out there got any opinion on other Shuguang or Psvane 300B tubes further down the wrung ?
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Francois

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+33)
    • Audio Exchange
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2017, 07:24:31 AM »
I totally agree with Jazzy there. I could never afford a genuine pair of 1950's WE valves.

I was very optimistic about these clones for they did a lot of work to clone the WE faithfully (down to metallurgy).  Ender, talk to Vusi, I was planning to get you both together for a 300B comparison anyway. He has possibly THE best SE amp in SA.

Ill order my set as soon as I have the funds (major luxury here)  :notworthy:
I was born analog, not digit by digit....