anyone else notice this

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1447

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
First some background information .... I have a Pioneer A400x amplifier that is close to around 24 to 25+ years old - and i was the original owner from brand new .... i had used it for around 20 years and then i gave it to a buddy as part of a speaker deal ie I sold him a brand new set of AR standmount speakers at around what i paid for them, but i included this amp in the deal because one side was not working properly and was sctratchy ..... so his payment for the amp was to pay to have it repaired and then he could use it with those speakers which he managed to do but he never seriously used the amp since after repairing it he just let it lie around unused, so he lent it to me to use with some speakers that Clive lent me to use in my secondary system

When i was selling my Nikon camera I gave him R1000 as a trade-in for that Camera so I got the amp plus a Samsung point and shoot camera and he gave me R1k cash in balance for the camera but because i managed to get the amp back .... it was all good

Initially the amp sounded fantastic with the Tannoy mx1 speakers and the setup played a huge amount of bass for speakers that were only around 25cm tall without the stands .... then inbetween i had to do some maintenance ie room cleanup since everything was getting dusty and when i rewired i was having very glitchy sound so i basically tried the speaker B connections instead of Speaker A. This still did not work properly and the sound was still glitchy till i traced it back to a faulty CD input but Line in/aux worked perfectly so all was well as long as i did not use the CD input and sed Tuner or Aux instead .... but crucially i left the speaker cables connected to speaker B

The problem now was that the bass that i had grown to love was now gone so i chalked it off to my imagination ie i thought that i was initially imagining that bass and the combo wasnt really capable of it and that it was playing more in line with what i expected given the size of the speakers ..... until i recently had to open everything up again and remove my old DSTV setup since my SD PVR died so i was now going to install the three viewer environment using three exploras whcih meant removing the old cables from the setup with all the quad LNB connections and splitter devices and heartbeat cables etc which i did myself, and then having the DSTV guys coming in to do the new install (they dont allow this as a self install and you have call an acredited installer) but lets just say that i removed all cables that were not neccessary so i opened everything (including all the trunking where the cables were connecting to other rooms) and reconnected the system again after the DSTV installation

Either way now when i reconnected i used Speaker A connections for my speaker cable and the mighty bass and midbass was back .... the speakers sounded much fuller but just as transparent and i couldnt believe that just switching speaker A and speaker B could cause so much of difference but it really does ... what was more baffling to me was that speaker B was marked as being intended for low frequencies and speaker A was marked as being for high frequencies but as far as i know these things are just  connected in parallel internally so all the parts within the signal path are worn equally so could it be just internal cable that makes it sound so wildly different (ie Speaker A connections being used more over the 20 years that made it more "burnt in/run in" compared to speaker B .... but it does sound wildly different

So anyone else encountered something like this and does anyone have a logical and reasonable  explanation why it happens?  :nfi: