401 Build

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanS

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thought I would post some pics of my 401 build. I need to finish as I have promised not to start the Scan ZRT project until this is complete. Self restraint!

Also posting as advise is required.

So the plan is to make a heavyish, solid base, from MDF, veneered with Bubinga, finished in Woodoc 10, as this gives a nice natural finish.

First pic is the underwear shot.. The top gets replaced with the veneered surface (in veneer pic) and the thick sides (veneered) are attached to the sides. So the top veneer surface sticks out 16mm and appears recesses. It will be quite large.

Arm will be an OL modified Rega, mounted on a 10mm board.. This is where the question comes in.

Arm board will be connected to the base by 4 bolts, do I tighten the arm mounting bolt up to the armboard, and have a larger hole in the base (arm only attached to armboard).  OR Tighten the arm up to the base below (arm attached to one layer of the dual 16mm base plus the armboard).

I'll also need to look at feet, I'm currently trying squashballs which is not good, they all compress to different heights. I'll probably start with spikes and consider some sort of roller setup later.

Attachments

• TT-Base.jpg
    TT-Base.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 235
  • TT-Mount_Board.jpg
    TT-Mount_Board.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 234
  • TT-Veneer.jpg
    TT-Veneer.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 234

Latest posts