Author Topic: Building antireflective acoustic panels  (Read 879 times)

Offline TimbaLand

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
Building antireflective acoustic panels
« on: August 13, 2017, 10:41:34 AM »
I have a lot of old umderfelt that and from removing carpet in my bedrooms. I temporarily put it on the stairs for builders to walk on and not scratch the newly installed tiles and I picked up how the voices sounded more direct on that area. This gave me an idea to use this to build acoustic panels to tame the highs and reduce flatter in my HT room.

Do you think this will work?
Marantz AV8801|Rotel RC1570, RMB1585 and RMB1565| B&W 804 Diamond, HTM2 Diamond, DB1 and 685|Harman Kardon BDT30|Optoma HD25E projector| Audioquest CV4 speaker cables and Mogami XLR| HP Microserver

Online AlleyCat

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Building antireflective acoustic panels
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 11:05:51 AM »
Noooooo, Timbaland.

You went through the expense and planning a music theater room, finish it properly with the correct materials, you should not be ignoring all the wisdom and experience on this forum, let alone the tons of material that's available elsewhere?

"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline TimbaLand

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 11:19:34 AM »
Noooooo, Timbaland.

You went through the expense and planning a music theater room, finish it properly with the correct materials, you should not be ignoring all the wisdom and experience on this forum, let alone the tons of material that's available elsewhere?

Hence I'm asking. I wanna do it the right way and wanted to see if this can work as it'll cost me almost nothing because I have it already
Marantz AV8801|Rotel RC1570, RMB1585 and RMB1565| B&W 804 Diamond, HTM2 Diamond, DB1 and 685|Harman Kardon BDT30|Optoma HD25E projector| Audioquest CV4 speaker cables and Mogami XLR| HP Microserver

Offline Spurge

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 12:48:36 PM »
'scuse my ingnorance, but what is the difference between anti-reflective and absorbers?

A possible reason the voice sounded better is because many other frequencies were removed, so voices were better but other frequencies were poorer?

Offline TimbaLand

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 05:56:59 PM »
'scuse my ingnorance, but what is the difference between anti-reflective and absorbers?

A possible reason the voice sounded better is because many other frequencies were removed, so voices were better but other frequencies were poorer?

Excuse my heading. I don't know where I got the anti-reflective part from.  I think the right term should have been acoustic panels.

Online Katji

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
    • soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 11:21:26 AM »
Well, they either absorb - antireflective - or they diffract, disperse...? In this case, the underfelt absorbed, stopped reflection off the hard floor, and voices sounded better.

Offline Rotelman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 12:48:10 PM »
I've seen similair material to carpet underfelt material used in old speaker enclosures as internal damping material, so it should have some absorption characteristics.

Whether this would be enough for you planned panels, I would not know.

I suspect if you make the panel thick and sturdy enough to get enough weight of the felt in there at a constant high density, it could work.

Offline TimbaLand

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 11:30:08 PM »
I've seen similair material to carpet underfelt material used in old speaker enclosures as internal damping material, so it should have some absorption characteristics.

Whether this would be enough for you planned panels, I would not know.

I suspect if you make the panel thick and sturdy enough to get enough weight of the felt in there at a constant high density, it could work.

My thinking too but I have already bought fiberglass material to build the panels

Offline PAPPA3

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+77)
  • Nakamichi Banana Plugs In Stock
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 01:49:12 PM »
At least what you have discovered is that those steps need to be covered with some type of material.  Tiles are hard surfaces that reflect sound

Offline TimbaLand

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 06:23:14 PM »
At least what you have discovered is that those steps need to be covered with some type of material.  Tiles are hard surfaces that reflect sound

The room will obviously be carpeted and not tiled. I'm not bothered by the risers because there'll be couches in front of every step