Author Topic: Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid $250  (Read 886 times)

Online capetownwatches

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • "Life's too short to wear a crappy watch!"
Re: Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid $250
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 09:45:38 PM »
Better jump fast...at this price it's a bargain of note. Should sell well.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 10:27:15 PM »
Valve sticking out looks
like an afterthought. 
Balanced amp with SE inputs?
I hate wallwarts.  They are cumbersome. 

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Online capetownwatches

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 12:15:02 AM »
Not balanced. 4 pin XLR output. For the 3 headphones available that can use it...

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Offline oradba69

• Commercial Member
    • Lerange
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 09:32:26 AM »
Valve sticking out looks
like an afterthought. 

Am I the only one that thinks nipple?
Manufacturer of Audio Video furniture.
Importer and distributor of Trichord.
http://www.lerange.co.za

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 09:35:40 AM »
Possible.  On a flat chest. 

Just lay the blasted thing down flat if you don't want a taller case.  It look like a modified amp. 

That said.  I have no idea of the legend that is Cavalli and perhaps that makes it all moot. 

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline Nidri

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Don't panic.
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 11:20:00 AM »
I have no idea of the legend that is Cavalli and perhaps that makes it all moot. 

Agreed they made an unfortunate design choice here with that exposed valve.

G I think the Headphone Internet is abuzz with anticipation because Cavalli amps are generally pretty dear.
Their only amp under the $2,999 mark is/was the (now sold out) $799 Carbon.
(https://www.cavalliaudio.com/products/liquid-carbon-2-0-headphone-amplifier)

Is the hype justified? Who knows. All I'm saying is I might just go ahead and take one for the team on this one.

P.S. I can't comment definitively as to the possible benefits (or pointlessness) of providing a 'balanced' 4-pin XLR headphone output from a single-ended design, but my guess is that someone somewhere did some 'research' and determined that the balanced output is now a 'must-have' feature, so marketing insists that you provide it, whether it makes sense or not. And so most new headphone amps seem to provide them. In the same way that DACs 'have to' support crazy-high DSD rates (yawn).

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 10:47:08 AM »
Massdrop did their homework on this one ... coordinated cheerleading on Head-fi and SBAF.  May be a nice little amp this but I find the mafia marketing and related product bashing very distasteful.  Maybe pick up a used sample for $150 when the hype train inevitably leaves this station.
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline Tenflare

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Member
  • Gaming on orthodynamics since 2006.
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 03:10:03 PM »
Balanced is interesting for a hybrid amp (although I only have one set of cans that could benefit in any way)...

Can't really equate how much of an upgrade this would represent over my Little Dot MkII...
Never use a graph when a good metaphor will do...

Online capetownwatches

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 03:41:41 PM »
Balanced is interesting for a hybrid amp (although I only have one set of cans that could benefit in any way)...

Can't really equate how much of an upgrade this would represent over my Little Dot MkII...

The CTH is not a balanced design - it just has an XLR output for convenience.
No one but yourself will know if it's an up, down or sidegrade until you've heard it... ;)
I've joined the drop because the specs and details I've gleaned from the interwebs point conclusively to the fact that this amp won't in any way, shape or form, suck.  :cool:
And it's cheap  - I have a feeling this will be a bargain of note.

Estimated ship date is Feb 27, 2018 - at my age time passes quickly - be here before I even realise it!
Looking forward!

Offline Tenflare

• AVForums Member
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 04:17:59 PM »
The CTH is not a balanced design - it just has an XLR output for convenience.
No one but yourself will know if it's an up, down or sidegrade until you've heard it... ;)
I've joined the drop because the specs and details I've gleaned from the interwebs point conclusively to the fact that this amp won't in any way, shape or form, suck.  :cool:
And it's cheap  - I have a feeling this will be a bargain of note.

Estimated ship date is Feb 27, 2018 - at my age time passes quickly - be here before I even realise it!
Looking forward!

Agreed!

I'd actually join the drop too but I think my next amp will probably be solid state (hopefully the Aune S7S will drop again). I'm planning to go for the Hifimans though.

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid $250
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 05:25:41 PM »
Single ended Xlr connection for convenience makes  sense.  And perfectly plausible excuse.  The fact that it will make some folk think whoah is nice for sales. 

The only benefit I can imagine for an se input amp to have actual balanced drive out is in a portable scenario where battery voltage is low and you need the extra voltage swing greater than the battery rail.  With a wallwart you can just up the rail voltage.  Easy enough imo. 

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 05:27:56 PM »
Now if they did an electrostat amp I would be keen to give those stax one last opportunity.

Online capetownwatches

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 06:23:38 PM »
Now if they did an electrostat amp I would be keen to give those stax one last opportunity.

Cavalli does a nice little tube electrostatic amp called the Liquid Lightning... :tongue:
Only $4999 - and I'm not being sarcastic. By all accounts a bargain!

Offline Tenflare

• AVForums Member
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 06:47:25 PM »

You don't like Stax... Interesting -- I am aiming to eventually get a pair as my "endgame" so to speak. I may get the energizer first provided I can find a bargain somewhere.

Off topic, but which pair do you own, and were they a chore to get into the country?