Author Topic: Advice Required: What Graphics Card To Use In Proliant Microserver N36L  (Read 495 times)

Offline AudioJunkie

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Always on the lookout for old equipment.....pm me
Hi Gents

I need some advice, I want to purchase a cheap graphics card to use in my HP Proliant Microserver N36L.
I pulled the vga cable by mistake when walking over it and not the onboard vga port doesn't seem to work
anymore. I was thinking of running the server as a dedicated music server so in order to connect the sever
to a monitor I will now need to buy a graphics card. What would be my cheapest option to use in the server?

Also advise me on sound card as well so I can connect the server to an amp in the future.

Thanks a lot!!

Vishen
Looking to buy or sell your property in Centurion or Midrand and require a trustworthy and knowledgeable estate agent to assist you?? Please contact me asap..

Offline dekardy

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Advice Required: What Graphics Card To Use In Proliant Microserver N36L
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 09:27:43 AM »
Something like the nVidia GT210/GT710 or AMD Radeon R5 230 could work well.  Look for the low-profile card and make sure they come with the low-profile bracket as well.  If you want to add a soundcard to the mix make sure the graphics card's heat sink isn't to big otherwise you wont be able to fit the sound card.  Also you will probably loose the VGA connector in this setup but will still have HDMI and/or DVI.  Asus Xonar had some very nice PCIe low profile sound cards.  Just make sure you get the PCIe version and not the PCI one.  Alternatively go for a USB DAC.

If your AMP can take video and audio over HDMI then just use that for a clean setup.

Offline AudioJunkie

• Trader
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 10:29:37 AM »
Thanks for the reply bud, I think the GT210 should be a good option since seeing it's Around R500 or so.

Who would be the best place to get the graphics card from? Is there any good pc parts stores here in Centurion?
Looking to buy or sell your property in Centurion or Midrand and require a trustworthy and knowledgeable estate agent to assist you?? Please contact me asap..

Offline dekardy

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 10:40:37 AM »
If you have to have it today try evetech.  You will pay a bit more though.  Otherwise loot or takealot.

Offline deonk2000

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 10:54:27 AM »
I use the gigabyte GT210 that I got from takealot. Fits and works well, has sound over HDMI so I can use the TV optical out to feed into an external DAC and amp.

https://www.takealot.com/gigabyte-nvidia-gt210-1gb-lp-ddr3-graphics-card/PLID17012651

Offline AudioJunkie

• Trader
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 11:48:10 AM »
Thanks guys. I can wait and buy it online instead so il have to visit takealot and save a few bucks

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 12:21:45 PM »
i would steer away from both the GT210 and also the GT710 because if you have a 7.1 capable AVR you wont be able to use it to its fullest extent - the GT210 does not do 7.1 nor does the GT 710

the GT210 is only 16 bit and 20 bit while the GT 710 does add 24 bit capability it only has 6 channls hence it can only play 5.1 .... which will be a disadvantage when viewing 7.1 capable (or even Dolby Atmos capable) files

i tried a GT210 and eventually had to install it into a microserver that is not connected to an AVR so its okay if you are going to just connect it to PC speakers etc but its absolutely useless if you have a decent 7.1 HT setup .... nad while the underlined part of the above sentence may sem harsh its the truth .... i know people throwing away those cards when they are forced to replace them with AMD based cards which have all the audio capability you need

i will rather suggest a Radeon R5 230

http://www.landmarkpc.co.za/store/asus-r5230sl1gd3l-profile-radeon-graphics-card-p-11963.html

most AMD cards of this level will give you the full surround capability as well as all the HD audio capability you need .... in fact my older 5450 and 6450 cards also do so perfectly .... and i personally found the nvidia cards of this level to be a complete waste of time and money ..... maybe they are better at the higher end stuff but not the basic entry level stuff since they dont provide you full functionality hence no value for your money ..... unless you like to be restricted in what you do with it

as for a sound card - its also not as great a solution as fitting an offboard DAC when it comes to audio only (if you want surround sound - the HDMI from a good graphics card will provide full surround audio to your AVR together with the picture) - in my main microserver i use the radeon 6450 for video and surround sound and for stereo and high res i have a Nuprime uDSD Dac and this makes the microserver sound as good as any decent CD player when playing your music stored in your PC or network .... and you will need a very expensive sound card to get the same sort of sound quality as well as fiddle around with different types of cables etc to get the connectivity to connect to an amp

remmeber though al the above is just my opinion .... other people may do things in a different way and im not claiming my way is best but i think that im getting far more and useful functionality out of it than people doing it another way
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 12:29:47 PM by naughty »

Offline scrarfussi

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Quantum In Me Fuit
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 12:48:35 PM »
Check esquire
You may get it at a good price
suum cuique pulchrum est

"I refuse to prove that I exist,'" says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

Offline matthieup

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 10:43:10 AM »
whichever you choose make sure it is the low profile version. Some come in normal and low profile size and a normal size will not fit in the microserver.

Offline Toxxyc

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 10:49:08 AM »
@audiojunkie jump over to Carbonite.  You can get those kind of cheap cards for ~R150 there quite often.  It's second-hand, but the card with discreet coolers have nothing to go wrong on them, so there's no loss, really.

Offline skylix001

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 09:56:17 PM »
Still need a card?

Offline wimps

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 08:39:17 AM »
I Used the Gigabyte Geforce 210. works excellent in a N36L

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 12:15:45 PM »
I Used the Gigabyte Geforce 210. works excellent in a N36L

For the thousandth time ..... if you need HD audio then this card is incapable of providing it ... I have one and it's really  not fit for my purpose and the hardware companies have made a fortune when people that I know get to realise this simple fact and are forced to replace the card .... it's only useful if you want sub standard surround sound .... even a gt710 cannot do 7.1 and it can only do 5.1 which doesn't work properly for high res movie rips or uncompressed blu-ray rips (while it it does provide audio it is sub optimal and these cards are only usable for people who value video performance and are willing to sacrifice audio performance)

I tried different drivers and even experimental beta drivers but using HDMI as your output connection there isn't a way to get these cards to output acceptable surround sound while even the smallest and cheapest AMD chipset based cards do it "out of the box"

My honest opinion ... avoid Nvidia entry level cards because even the Intel on-chip graphics can provide the surround audio that the Nvidia entry models do not
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 12:19:27 PM by naughty »

Offline rawoke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
    • FibreTiger - Compare ALL Fibre ISPs
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 08:20:41 AM »
Anyone that has passive cooling !
https://www.fibretiger.co.za - FibreTiger - Compare ALL Fibre ISPs