A Bridge Apart.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phase

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have one of the most honest systems, if I change anything it tells me. My 5 year old daughter is the same, she tells on everyone NO secrets! Some may know that I recently ran 5 dacs for a week comparing. Prior to this was told that a dac is a dac and if any change it's subtle. I find it quite the contrary each dac was distinctively different and I could tell at any stage which dac was playing. The biggest telling factor was the bass, then vocals and lastly instruments (found this to be odd!) This brings me to my point, if a dac is a dac then surely a bridge is bridge or is it?

Firstly I was convinced that this would be very difficult to tell apart! I mean it's only a USB to coax connection. SPDIF converters in the mix, M2Tech/Aero Bridge (samething), Xmos PRO3Z with LPS, AudioPhilleo with battery pack and Berkeley Alpha Bridge.

In order of merit,
Aero Bridge: Way tooo much bass!

Xmos with LPS: Brilliant dynamics, tight bass but vocals sounded thin in comparison to the next two. I had been living with the Xmos for 3 month.

AudioPhilleo with battery pack:
Bass slightly floppy at times, least dynamic, best vocals! Sounds a bit like Mark Levinson equipment (darker invites you in). Very smooth the deepest soundstage. Spoke to a friend who ran an all battery system at one stage and confirmed the batteries lacked dynamics. (found that also to be weird).

Berkeley Alpha: very forward soundstage, clean, crisp and dynamic and the tightest bass.

UNBELIEVABLE! I honestly thought it would be difficult to tell them apart but it's not they are distinctively different and again bass was different on all of them (weird).

My choice would be the AP smooth deep soundstage with the Berkeley's dynamics and bass.

Latest posts