Best outboard DAC

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leonpjhb

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi Guys.

I have recently purchased an AppleTV. All of my pics and Apple Losless music reside on it. The interface is great!! and I have decided to never play CD's again - all my music is now just SO accessable that I am willing to sacrifice a bit of quality for having everything at my fingertips!

I have the AppleTV connected to my Marantz AV8003 via HDMI (for visuals) and Optical for sound. The AV8003 then converts to analogue for output via pre-out to the dedicated power amplifiers.

I can't help but wondering if there is not a stand-alone DAC that will give me superior conversion than my AV8003 (which I still intend to keep as a pre-amp, even for stereo listening - the convenience factor again).

I see alot a lot of products that also act as music servers (example: PS Audio Perfect wave DAC) or have a built-in pre-amplifier (Bel Canto DACs). I do not need this and don't want extra electronics in the unit that is not required. Just a plain, but high quality DAC.

Any suggestions? Please keep in mind that I need a sound improvement above the current AV8003 capability.

THANKS!