Author Topic: HDMI on 2 laptops sound different?  (Read 407 times)

Offline gfdoomchicken

HDMI on 2 laptops sound different?
« on: August 02, 2017, 09:01:17 PM »
So I am using a new laptop and notice that the sound (coming from an HDMI port into AVR which the drives my sound system)
is much better than my old laptop. Strange , I thought the sound coming from and HDMI is digitally encoded the same way (both windows 10 machines running musicbee with wasapi) so Im surprised the sound quality is so different.

Any ideas on why this kind of difference occurs?

Offline scrarfussi

Re: HDMI on 2 laptops sound different?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 10:09:47 PM »
Not all sources are equal  :nfi:
suum cuique pulchrum est

"Then Said my heart here will i take my rest."

Offline naughty

Re: HDMI on 2 laptops sound different?
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 11:20:35 PM »
So I am using a new laptop and notice that the sound (coming from an HDMI port into AVR which the drives my sound system)
is much better than my old laptop. Strange , I thought the sound coming from and HDMI is digitally encoded the same way (both windows 10 machines running musicbee with wasapi) so Im surprised the sound quality is so different.

Any ideas on why this kind of difference occurs?

me and a few of my buddies have had this discussion because i noticed that the microserver sounds better than most laptops and my main rig sounds better than the microserver but the main rig has noisy fans which is why its in a secondary installation .... and while im using USB for my stuff IMHO HDMI and USB will be affected equally by the issues im outlining

i think that theres two factors that affect this and the first one is the actual hardware ie the implementation of the USB ports .... some of them will use parts that are not really robust and these will suffer degraded perfomance and some may even suffer from noise issues that are not totally apparent which could affect the transmission of the bits and bytes, and the second but more important factor is the quality of the power supply ie you know that USB will generally be outputting 5 volts and the power supply will definitely affect this as well as the power that goes to the motherboard and bits of the bus that relate to the signal path ie sound cards or USB ports or other I/O slots and ports 

so while the bits from the file may be equal not all computer hardware is equal and not all have fully stable power supply and this is the only argument i can relate to why not all computer or chip based hardware (which is controlled by firmware) will have equal sound .... it stands to reason that a more powerful computer will have a better power supply or if you are using a media player a higher quality unit should by all rights also have a better implemented power supply than a cheaper mass market item

other things that may affect computer performance is speed of the CPU as well as amount of cache that the CPU posseses and possibly amount of ram as well as the hard drives .... the fastest possible components will make everything work more smoothly and give optimal performance which is why im not a fan of the stripped down small solutions likeraspberry pi's etc ie i want to control having a bigger better power supply with the fastest parts available 

other than that i cannot explain it but many have heard differences like this so you can rest assured that you are not alone in wondering why