My crazy music server/player concept

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolvebain

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
So, this is my crazy music server/player concept that I'm in the process of setting-up...
For your entertainment / amusement :p

First, the chain, physical end-to-end, layout:
[File Servers + rest of network | RJ45 ports] --<copper>-- [RJ45 ports| switch |mini-GBIC slot] --<fiber>-- [LC SFP port| Fibre to GbE converter |RJ45 port] --<copper>-- [RJ45 | Music server/player PC | USB3.0] --<USB cable>-- [USB port | USB to I2S converter | I2S HDMI port] --<HDMI cable>-- [I2S HDMI port | DAC/head.amp]

Two paths from the [DAC/head.amp]:
1st Path: Bal.XLR pre-output] --<XLR cable>-- [Bal.XLR input | Tube head.amp] --<DIY cable>-- [Headphones]
2nd Path: Bal.miniXLR pre-output] --<XLR cable>-- [Bal.XLR input | Passive Monitor Controller | Bal.XLR output] --<XLR cable>-- [Active Studio Monitors]

Next, the power detail:
[Wallplug] >>> [Pure Sine Wave UPS] >> [Power conditioner] >
>> [Linear PSU] >>> [Fibre to GbE converter]
>> [Linear PSU] >>> [Music server/player PC]
>> [Linear PSU] >>> [USB to I2S converter]
>> [DAC/head.amp]
>> [Tube head.amp]

Finally, the components:
[Fibre to GbE converter] = To be purchased. Looking at getting the TP-Link MC220L
[Music server/player PC] = Currently an ASRock Beebox [J3160 CPU, 8Gb RAM, 128GB mSATA SSD] running Daphile.  Soon to be replaced with a newly purchased fanless Zotac ZBOX CI547 Nano [i5-7200U, 16GBRAM, 250GB Samsung Evo 850 SSD]
[USB to I2S converter] = Matrix X-SPDIF 2
[DAC/head.amp] = AudioGD NOS 11
[Tube head.amp] = Little Dot Mk 6+
[Passive Monitor Controller] = Palmer Monicon
[Power conditioner] = Furman AC210-A-E Power conditioner
[Linear PSU's] = Purchased and on it's way, except for the Zotac ZBOX CI547 (still looking around)
<USB cable> = DIY'd Mogami W2534 USB cable
<HDMI cable> = 3ft, braided, 18Gbps, 28AWG, HDMI 2.0 cable

It's a bit extreme, but not too pricey.  I basically want to reduce as much electrical interference as I possibly can, without restoring to ''magic cables''
I have removed the fans and bottom plate of my Little Dot Mk 6+ tube head.amp, and have it sitting on a USB powered laptop cooler, that draws power from elsewhere.
Even the Zotac ZBOX CI547 machine that will be my Music server/player has no fans/active cooling.
I want to squeeze as much out of my core audio components that I have right now, before upgrading.