Author Topic: Installation of bulkheads  (Read 1461 times)

Offline MetalMilitia

Installation of bulkheads
« on: July 17, 2017, 11:04:16 AM »
Before i go and install bulkheads myself (seems like quite a task), are there any installers that can be recommended that do a neat job

I am wanting to put bulkheads in the lounge as i have a concrete ceiling. The bulk heads will serve the following purposes:

1. Aesthetics
2. Hide speaker wiring
3. House in-ceiling surround speakers
4. House LED downlights
5. Wild idea...but thought i could fill the cavities with Isotherm to serve as a bass trap of sorts and to treat early ceiling reflections (i see you get panels specifically for acoustic treatment that can be used instead of drywall. Does anyone have experience with such panels or is there a specific type/brand that can be recommended)

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I do not want to go off on a tangent if what i'm wanting to do does not seem feasible

Offline BiZKiT

Re: Installation of bulkheads
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 04:25:02 AM »
Its going to cost a pretty penny...if you can diy but its a massive job.

Offline MetalMilitia

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 09:46:52 AM »
The cost is not the main concern, it's whether the contractor will do the work up to standard (main issue these days)

But if need be will go the DIY route but as you say it's a massive job and don't want most of the house being filled with sawdust and filler dust

Offline MetalMilitia

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 03:01:24 PM »
I found a local company "Lafarge" who sell perforated ceiling board/gypsum

They sell the steel frames also although i think a wooden frame would be better as resonance is a concern. Wooden frames with screws and Green Glue should do the trick but will research a bit more.

The perforated panels aren't the most aesthetically pleasing so i could use them only for the bulkhead that will be above the speakers/tv that will house the electric projector screen and rigid fiberglass and then use Gyprock Sheeting or plasterboard for the bulkhead running along the boundary walls.

Will build two wedge pillars for the frontstage filled with rigid fiberglass. These pillars will meet the bulkhead but will cover them in acoustically transparent material or pegboard if it is going to make the room too dead in the upper frequencies

This is what the perforated panels look like

You get wooden ones also, not sure of pricing on this as yet

Want to build the bulkheads in this fashion. There is a lip for LED lighting but i'm still pondering on the idea...the lighting could be a bit much seeing that it's not a dedicated theater but a lounge also

Offline scrarfussi

suum cuique pulchrum est

"Then Said my heart here will i take my rest."

Offline Spurge

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 06:06:09 PM »
Isotherm in bulkheads to achieve bass taming is a waste of time based on my experience. Isotherm does not have enough mass.

Offline windshear

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 09:42:32 PM »
Isotherm in bulkheads to achieve bass taming is a waste of time based on my experience. Isotherm does not have enough mass.

Is this based on a measurement? Is this in the frequency or time domain?

Offline MetalMilitia

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 09:52:56 AM »

Is there an alternative that you ended up using which was effective?

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 10:06:09 AM »
Probably Uthermo...
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Spurge

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 05:48:39 PM »
I bought 8x rolls of Isotherm for corner bass traps. Stacked 2 ontop of one another in each corner. Almost zero bass trapping benefit.

I unrolled some of the Isotherm and placed it at firstreflection points. It worked as absorption of mid and high frequencies. But for any bass below 200Hz. Useless as far as I could figure out. I can see no reason as to why it would suddenly become effective when placed in a bulkhead.

I have some Uthermo as manufactured by Frank. Stuck them in 2 corners just to hear what they could do bass wise. Some benefit. But they were not designed to do bass trapping. But Uthermo certainly sounds far more effective for bass than Isotherm.

I have not done any measuring.

I heard Achim's loft before the Artnovion and then at about 80% completion. Artnovion really does work. Sure it costs more, but the effect of bass trapping is quantified by performance specs and one of the models is "tunable".

One can go the DIY Uthermo route and measure room responses as you progress, or take a more sure route with the Artnovion. But Isotherm for BASS taming ??? No go. Think Pink would be better.

I know this is not a scientific answer but it is based on my experience with the product.

What I cannot fathom re what appears to be the general thinking is the following >>>
IMHO the influence by a house room on the overall sound of a system is at least 30%. If the equipment value is R100,000 we should be prepared to spend some amount of money (R20,000?) on this aspect. But how many of us do? We could add a R50,000 upgrade to the R100,000 equipment and it will not be able to give us the magic of what it does better, as the room does not allow it. It then is a sub-optimised upgrade.

So if we want to do bulkheads that would tame bass, it is great, but they must the achieve that, and Isotherm will not help.

FAIK Isotherm is polyester. Think Pink is glassfibre. Uthermo I am not sure.

My 2c

Offline Rodney_gold

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 12:27:36 AM »
I got rid of the bulkheads in my room , they were a source of rattles and messed with acoustics
Stuffing them with any material is totally ineffective as a bass trap..maybe stop rattles tho..
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room