Author Topic: Tuner issues  (Read 455 times)

Offline christowp

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
Tuner issues
« on: July 15, 2017, 05:31:14 PM »
Not sure many people still use stereo tuners but anyway. I use 3 in different parts of the house and have been using them with inside "T" aerials without any issues. Since last sunday two of the tuners have had or presented reception problems. They just cant get the station clearly anymore. I've interchanged so there is no problem with the components but they just not reeling in the stations anymore. One gets one local station clearly but nothing else. As indicated no issues before this week (since sunday last week).   

Any other folks having similar or related problems  - if there are any tuner listeners out there

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
Re: Tuner issues
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 07:07:58 PM »
Switch your wi-fi off and try again.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline AnarchyR

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 02:57:52 PM »
Christo

Have you come right here?

Offline christowp

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 12:08:36 PM »
No - problem still exists. very irritating as they are in regular use in different parts of the house on different stations. Considering outside antenna for main system but the others need to be functional as well.

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 05:11:08 PM »
FM radio transmitters use (used?) both vertical & horizontal polarisation. Vertical polarisation is better for car radios with a vertical whip. FWIW, try hanging the T-Antenna vertically so that the "T" is standing at a 90 angle to the floor, see if that changes anything.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline deonk2000

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 07:41:44 PM »
Hi Chris, the local FM transmissions are mainly horizontally polarized and are transmitted from various sites. Given your location, you should be getting fairly strong signals for the bulk of the FM services, but the better content community stations are not that well serviced (both transmitter power and location). I receive a somewhat patchy FMR signal here in the southern suburbs.

A cheap horizontally mounted dipole (as mentioned above) should solve the problem, but note that since your home sits more or less at the vertex of the sighting toward constantiaberg (main TX)  and tygerberg (FMR), a dipole would not be optimal if you wish to receive signals from both sites. A receiving dipole has minimum (theoretically zero) reception in the direction of the conductors.

Offline Rotelman

• AVForums Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 05:25:17 PM »
The OP makes mention that the tuners can not pick up signal anymore, implying that it used to.

Presumably the tower positions and polarisation configurations have remain constant in the recent past, so something else must have triggered the problem ?

I have 3 tuners running and can not imagine going without them, tbo. 

An embarrassing tuner confession : I used a long length of 4-core alarm wire which I had lying around , 2 wires were twisted together and pushed into the centre female point as a temporary measure. It worked so well, I've not changed it again!!!!!!!!!!!!