Author Topic: Sous Vide  (Read 4336 times)

Offline Music_Lover

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
Re: Sous Vide
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 02:01:03 PM »
Got a Severin locally and the bags. From Takealot or One day only. Very happy with it.
Also got the vacuum sealer as well.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Which bags? Do you vacuum seal or use ziplocs?
Midrand

Offline georgev

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 02:13:59 PM »
The Severin bags. I do vacuum seal. The sealer vacuums and seals.

Offline shadow.clone

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 10:09:00 AM »
Anova ordered and will be here soon.

I'm looking for a way to sear or brown the meats after a sous vide bath. I've got a Dremel Versaflame torch but I've heard that using these small blow torches on meats can lead to 'torch taste'. Any advice with regards to this would be appreciated.

Apparently something like this does not impart a 'torch taste' https://www.importitall.co.za/Searzall-Torch-Attachment-Small-Stainless-ap-B00L2P0KNO.html

Regards.

Nice, give us some feedback once you've tried it out. I'd rather start off by browning the meat in a skillet (using ghee or similar). Perhaps you'll find that it's not too much of a headache. I'm a bit nervous about the fuel not being fully combusted before reaching my food. You'll also need a torch with enough heat output.

I've decided to wait for the Nano, mostly for it's IP67 rating and lower price. Not sure if I'll be able to hold off until the 220V model launches though.

Offline Quad Pipe

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2018, 11:42:56 AM »
Got a Severin locally and the bags. From Takealot or One day only. Very happy with it.
Also got the vacuum sealer as well.

Time to resurrect this thread.

I too have the Severin bath and sealer. I use the Severin bags.

Two brilliant resources not mentioned here are as follows:

https://www.seriouseats.com/tags/sous%20vide

https://www.chefsteps.com

Offline georgev

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2019, 11:40:35 AM »
Time to resurrect this thread.
So i did a fillet in the sous vide, at 56celsius for 12 hours, then browned it on the outside a pan at high heat with aromat and black pepper, and it was sublime.
Should have taken pictures.
Been playing around with different temperatures and times.

Offline tptb

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2019, 12:36:36 PM »
Love my Anova, gets used regularly.

I tend to brown the meat with a torch - much easier for me to control than a pan (tend to overcook it).
ow fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Offline zer0

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2019, 02:16:56 PM »
My favourite food to cook sous vide is sweetcorn. Butter and salt and let it go for 40 minutes at 84C.

I'm not a fan of sous vide meats. Regular braai or grill for thinner cuts and for roasts I use the oven and a meat probe thermometer.
In at 70C till it reaches 53 to 55C internally, depending on cut and size. Finish in a high heat pan or on a scorching hot braai.

Offline shadow.clone

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2019, 06:21:05 PM »
My favourite food to cook sous vide is sweetcorn. Butter and salt and let it go for 40 minutes at 84C.

I'm not a fan of sous vide meats. Regular braai or grill for thinner cuts and for roasts I use the oven and a meat probe thermometer.
In at 70C till it reaches 53 to 55C internally, depending on cut and size. Finish in a high heat pan or on a scorching hot braai.

Haven't tried this before, but you've piqued my interest. Will give it a bash this weekend!

Offline Timber_MG

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2019, 11:26:41 PM »
Haven't tried this before, but you've piqued my interest. Will give it a bash this weekend!

Reverse sear, best way to braai a juicy steak unless if you have decided that your steak needs to be pink all the way to the crust.

Offline georgev

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2019, 12:02:22 PM »
Tried chicken for the first time in the sous vide.
a flattie, at 67 celsius for 6 hiurs, then browned over coals.
Tender, juicy and moist.
really enjoyed it.

Offline Nchebe

• AVForums Junior Member
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2019, 03:45:11 PM »
Scored a 15l urn from the office - tap was 'bust and not fixable'.  Sealed the tap hole and it turned out to be the perfect sous vide 'bath' for the hungry family at the get-together. Fitted two large beef fillets perfectly!  I wrapped it in a towel to keep the heat in, but the temperature fluctuated a little much possibly - about 7 degrees... Nobody complained about the outcome though!!

I'm going to get the temperature control more accurate by tossing out the bi-metal temp switch and replace with a PID-type controller, as the final use for this urn will be a mash tun for my venture into brewing my own beer... :rubhands:

Online DACMan1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2019, 12:10:30 PM »
Scored a 15l urn from the office - tap was 'bust and not fixable'.  Sealed the tap hole and it turned out to be the perfect sous vide 'bath' for the hungry family at the get-together. Fitted two large beef fillets perfectly!  I wrapped it in a towel to keep the heat in, but the temperature fluctuated a little much possibly - about 7 degrees... Nobody complained about the outcome though!!

I'm going to get the temperature control more accurate by tossing out the bi-metal temp switch and replace with a PID-type controller, as the final use for this urn will be a mash tun for my venture into brewing my own beer... :rubhands:

Nice. 7 degrees is too much variation - with a PID controller you will have a completely different experience. A pump will also help a lot. The biggest problem with the cheap PID controllers is temperature accuracy, so you either have to calibrate it in some way, or experiment. Also, try to find a PID that uses a PTC probe, it will be at least an order of magnitude more accurate than one with a thermocouple.

Offline Nchebe

• AVForums Junior Member
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2019, 03:46:49 PM »
A pump will also help a lot.

Ultimately for the mash tun I'll have a slow stirrer - might work for sous vide, but I can picture fillet soup being the result as the packet gets shredded...

The biggest problem with the cheap PID controllers is temperature accuracy

Exactly! So the issue is finding the middle point price vs performance.  Not so easy...  There might be a pile of PID controllers for sale on 'For Sale: Non-AV Items' soon :giggle:

Offline georgev

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2019, 03:02:31 PM »
I finally tried chicken in the bath.
wow.
Did a spatchkok at 67 celsius for 6 hours then quick brown on the barbie.
It was sooo good.