Author Topic: Sous Vide  (Read 5661 times)

Offline Music_Lover

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
Sous Vide
« on: July 04, 2017, 04:27:15 PM »
Does anyone know where I can source a decent quality, reasonably priced sous vide circulator locally. Something like an Anova,  Gourmia or ChefSteps.
The ones from Importitall are all 110V.

Regards
Midrand

Offline Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
Re: Sous Vide
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 05:01:21 PM »
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline Music_Lover

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 05:20:37 PM »
Trompie,

They only list the one immersion unit there at an eyewatering price. I'm resisting getting a bath unit due to ts lack of versatility and some have mentioned poor temperature control.
Midrand

Offline Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 02:30:44 AM »
Bring it in direct via amazon UK?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/260-3412955-8047408?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sous+vide

The circulators tend to push your bag up against one side of the unit itself, which can result in uneven cooking as one side is always adjacent to the element/pump.

Whilst you are buying - purchase suitable cooking bags as well. Ziploc bags are not safe to cook in, neither is anything made by crown national.

*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline leonpjhb

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 07:11:45 AM »
I bought the Anova two years ago and cannot recommend it enough. It has worked in my restaurant daily for 18months of that time, used by different people of different skill level and continues to function perfectly.

Anova does not ship to South Africa anymore, but they do still manufacture the 220v model.

As mentioned by Trompie, bring it in via amazon.uk or even ebay.co.uk

I have had zero issues with circulators causing uneven cooking - be sure to pack your items properly in the bath.

It is also possible to "fabricobble" a good sous vide bath out of a slow cooker, I have made two of them and they function perfectly for longer cooks where temeprature accuracy within 3 or so degrees is acceptable (short ribs, lamb necks, etc).

Offline Music_Lover

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 11:24:04 AM »
Trompie/Leon,

The Anova is the one I was eyeing. I had it in my cart ready to purchase from Amazon.com when I realised it was the 110V version. The one from Amazon.co.uk is way too expensive.

I did consider going the DIY slow cooker route but not yet.
Midrand

Offline shadow.clone

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 01:21:28 PM »
I've been eyeing Sansaire's circulator but Leon's post has piqued my interest in the Anova.

Where do you guys buy "safe" plastic bags in SA and what do they cost? Do you vacuum seal or just use water pressure to force out some of the air?

Music_Lover, that postage cost is way too high. Select Amazon as the seller (if available) and the total cost should drop drastically.

Offline MorneDJ

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 01:49:40 PM »
I build one for around R600 bucks using stuff I had, 1 small aquarium pump 2 thermostats as well as a PID. Get the PIDs from ebay and use a kettle type immersion element and build one. Lots of discussion value it that.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, as you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup ...

Offline Music_Lover

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 01:55:02 PM »
I build one for around R600 bucks using stuff I had, 1 small aquarium pump 2 thermostats as well as a PID. Get the PIDs from ebay and use a kettle type immersion element and build one. Lots of discussion value it that.

I wouldn't mind building one but I'm almost certain I'd kill myself in doing so.

Music_Lover, that postage cost is way too high. Select Amazon as the seller (if available) and the total cost should drop drastically.

The Anova is one of the better one's out there I'd say. Will give your suggestion a try.
Midrand

Offline Music_Lover

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 11:41:33 AM »
Ok, my daughter is coming from Dubai in August so she'll bring down an Anova with her. It will cost about R2200.
Midrand

Offline Music_Lover

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 10:52:19 AM »
Anova ordered and will be here soon.

I'm looking for a way to sear or brown the meats after a sous vide bath. I've got a Dremel Versaflame torch but I've heard that using these small blow torches on meats can lead to 'torch taste'. Any advice with regards to this would be appreciated.

Apparently something like this does not impart a 'torch taste' https://www.importitall.co.za/Searzall-Torch-Attachment-Small-Stainless-ap-B00L2P0KNO.html

Regards.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 10:58:26 AM by Music_Lover »
Midrand

Offline Larry

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 11:11:39 AM »
Anova ordered and will be here soon.

I'm looking for a way to sear or brown the meats after a sous vide bath. I've got a Dremel Versaflame torch but I've heard that using these small blow torches on meats can lead to 'torch taste'. Any advice with regards to this would be appreciated.

Apparently something like this does not impart a 'torch taste' https://www.importitall.co.za/Searzall-Torch-Attachment-Small-Stainless-ap-B00L2P0KNO.html

Regards.

Is a super hot, non stick griddle pan not an option if steak?

Granted - not quite sure what you're cooking in the sous vide

Offline Music_Lover

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 11:43:16 AM »
Is a super hot, non stick griddle pan not an option if steak?

Granted - not quite sure what you're cooking in the sous vide

It is certainly an option and a route I could easily take. I was just looking at the convenience of searing without soiling more cookware and also there's a certain amount of precision and speed when using a torch of some sort.
Midrand

Offline georgev

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 12:15:56 PM »
Got a Severin locally and the bags. From Takealot or One day only. Very happy with it.
Also got the vacuum sealer as well.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline georgev

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2017, 12:18:50 PM »